Norwegian Pearl Cruise Review by Scott6428: Rocky Ride on The Pearl

Rocky Ride on The Pearl

Sail Date: September 2013
Destination: USA
Embarkation: Vancouver

Pacific Coastal cruise from Vancouver to L.A.

Embarkation was a nightmare, it took three hours to board, clearly Norwegian was understaffed.

The first two days we had rough seas and missed the port of Astoria. The weather is a variable thing so it`s just the luck of the draw but I`m rating this cruise poorly for two chief reasons. It was boring, the ship had no vibe or excitement and there was really no scenery. You are too far from the coast to be a `coastal cruise`. You could not see land for most of the trip. The ship arrived at San Francisco early and left in the dark. We had to wait for an hour and half for a missing crew member so we missed the golden gate bridge at sunset. The Captain reported that the authorities would not let him leave without determining the whereabouts of the crew member.

Having been on carnival and Royal Caribbean I found the entertainment to be the worst of the three. The impressionist was doing Jack Benny and Johnny Carson. The More Singing and dancing show was well below RC quality. The SC comedy show was great but they only had two shows, one of which was late on the last night. The Main Dining Room and buffet food was fine, same as Carnival but not as good a RC. The Dining room was dull and dreary but the buffet was bright and open. We ate at the specialty restaurants a lot and the food and service was on par with RC’s MDR. The ship was full but it didn’t feel crowded there were many buffet stations serving the same food. You could always get a deck chair but perhaps not at the pool. There were no organized activities on deck it was all very sedentary which may have been what a lot of people were expecting.

The ship itself is in good shape the cabin space was sufficient although smaller than Carnival or RC balcony cabins. I liked the bathroom layout in three pods, toilet, sink, shower all with dividing pocket doors. It allowed the use of the toilet or shower separately. I liked having a coffee maker in the room but actually only used it once. The public areas seemed well designed for the size of ship. The casino was drab and smoky however.

The plus for this ship was the crew; they were very friendly and seemed happy to work there. I got more greetings from this crew than any other ship, even the maintenance guy in his engineering overalls said hello.

So in summary I would not recommend a pacific coastal route. I might consider NCL for a Caribbean cruise on one of their newer ships. Less

Read more Norwegian Pearl cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Pearl Review >>

Segway Tour

We rented Segways for a guided tour of the harbour area. I was very informative and fun. Best part of the cruise. You get to see a lot without riding around in a bus.