Brilliance of the Seas Cruise Review by DareToDive: Disappointed in Royal Caribbean

DareToDive
Member Since 2013

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Brilliance of the Seas Canada & New England Cruises

Disappointed in Royal Caribbean

Sail Date: September 2013
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: Boston

Of the ten cruises that my wife & I have taken, this cruise would rank #9 of the 10. (RCC, Princess, Carnival) Anyone can complain for no reason, so here are our reasons.

1-Prior to our cruise we made a mistake, booking an excursion upon our return to Boston that we could not keep due to an earlier flight, we asked for cancellation, had to argue with RCC to get them to agree to refund, they said it was taken care of, they did not take care of it, travel agent finally got it corrected.

2-Transfer from airport to dock (15 minute trip) took 90 minutes because they cancelled a bus trip & left us standing outside the airport. Their procedure is set up to be a minimum of 15 minutes to the port & a maximum of 45 minutes.

3-Dinner the first night was extremely slow & disorganized, resulting in our having to leave partway through the meal in order to attend a show. They gave us a specialty restaurant free to compensate, but waited until the last More night, so it was difficult to take advantage of the compensation. We did not use it because it was given so late, it was difficult to make reservations & felt that it too little too late. Two of the 11 dinner guests at our table had received their gift earlier in the week. It was as if RCC could not get their act together long enough to successfully correct a problem.

4-They lost my luggage. It was on another floor properly tagged. Their main concern was if the luggage contained alcohol (NO), then was it properly tagged (YES, 2 name tags & their name tag outside & one inside). They finally started searching for it & I received the luggage at 8:30PM. There is no reason for their not sending the luggage to our floor, rather than leaving it sitting in a hallway until I complained 2 different times & they finally had to go floor to floor searching.

5-Commode wouldn't flush about the time they found my luggage & when I asked for help they said they would notify someone; no response or call so after about an hour I got dressed & went to CS, they called the appropriate department & said they were working on it. Got it going in about an hour after that. IT HAPPENED 3 MORE TIMES AFTER THAT BEFORE THE WEEK WAS OUT!!

6-The Centrum is beautiful, but they have entertainment in the center & limited seating around that area; don't plan to be seated or see any of it unless you get there an hour early. Poor planning on their layout.

7-Oveall the food was fair, not terrible, but certainly not up to the standards we've had on other cruise lines. It left us wondering if we were being encouraged to pay the price for a specialty restaurant each night.

Surely RCC is better than this; they certainly were in the '90s, but for us, we are very disappointed, because most of the above items WERE controllable.

On the brighter side, we met some wonderful people & really enjoyed their company. Cruising is great, but RCC needs to do better. Less

Read more Brilliance of the Seas cruise reviews >>