Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by Starwarsfan: First but definitely not last

Starwarsfan
Member Since 2013

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Independence of the Seas Mediterranean Cruises

First but definitely not last

Sail Date: September 2013
Destination: Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

I have nothing but praise for the ship itself, and the staff were so attentive and friendly, i saw other reviews first and could not understand why there were critics, it seems some people find things to complain about just to fill the gaps. I must say that this was a holiday of a lifetime! i wasn't fussed on going on this type, but wife persuaded me and i am so glad she did.

Firstly the food, anyone who complains must have been on a different cruise to me, because there was food that suited everyone and a dining room to match, there was so much choice on board and if you were that way inclined you could have spent 12 days eating non-stop. The entertainment was good, i saw someone who were on their fourth cruise, who moaned, but seriously? what do you expect? If something works why change it? i am not a huge fan of this type of entertainment, but even i could see it was slick, professional and indeed very entertaining. the Ice Show in particular was better than any of the More rubbish i have seen on TV.

The pools were great, and the weather most of the time was ideal pool weather. I was determined to have a go on the rock wall, and surprised myself by successfully completing the climb first time. i feel this was a result of good instruction and encouragement from the staff. Guest services were very reactive to any slight problem and response time brilliant! Kids on board seemed to have a whale of a time and we hardly heard or saw them from our cabin which was at the sharp end of deck 2.

the ports of call where up to you for what you make of them, for example i loved Barcelona, but didn't want to climb the rock in Gibraltar, but that wasn't the responsibility of the ship staff (as some people here seem to think!) VIgo, Cadiz, and Mallorca were very nice, was not fussed on Lisbon as it seemed dirty, but again other people raved about it, so i am aware it was personal choice! I have to give a shout out to the casino staff, as i spent time there playing poker with other players (not against the house) One guy MIke (dealer) was able to bring a smile to everyone's faces just by talking, he was a star! not sure if you ever read these Mike, but Howard appreciated your funny side! I should mention Ian, Roy and Bianca too they always had smiles and were fun! oh and Dora(Dorina) the pit boss who was always smiling too! All in all my wife and I had a great time, met lots of lovely people and made several friends who i would want to meet again! Staff aboard are great and try their best to make your stay perfect. Dining room staff were also second to none in Romeo and Juliet and we left a big tip for both our servers. One thing i have to say is the guy who cooks the fried eggs in WINDJAMMER was soooo funny, he made me laugh every time i saw him. Less

Read more Independence of the Seas cruise reviews >>