Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by HowardK: Stray Dog's Guide To Bermuda 9/15

1,186 Forum Posts

Stray Dog's Guide To Bermuda 9/15

Sail Date: September 2013
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

Stray Dog enjoyed his Epic cruise so much that he decided to book a studio on the Breakaway.

How did it compare? Read more to find out below!

Overall, there is going to be a little bias as NYC is a 90 minute bus ride from me and more interesting than Miami which of course involves getting up early to go the airport, fly, then take a cab to a hotel and then to a ship.

In NYC I can walk from the bus to the hotel, and even walk from the hotel to the pier (took a cab though) even with 2 carry ons.

I got to NYC Saturday morning 9AM - dropped my bags off at the hotel (Comfort Inn Theatre District) and then went to 2 movies and 2 plays. The next day it was around a $11-12 cab ride (had some construction en route still a good deal) and got to the pier around 10:20 and took the elevator up and dropped of my bags. Was on the ship 11:30 or so and at O Sheenans around 12- by 12:30 the rooms were ready- Luggage was there by 2:30.

* Of note, I had More originally booked a studio but due to lower occupancy was able to grab a balcony for $15 more a night. I would say this marginally made my cruise better but if I had to stay in a studio again I wouldn't hesistate. The main advantage of having the balcony in my opinion was more space to unpack clothes and it was nice spending some time on it but I do not go on a cruise to be isolated from people.

I went to the Studio Lounge that afternoon and joined some other solo travelers throughout the week for shows, bus/ferry rides and meals. We had a great time and enjoyed each others company.

I did not eat at any speciality restaurants: Several things in the MDr were excellent such as eggplant parm, moouse, and a corn/cheddar soup. One reason of skipping speciliaty's was the Uptown Grill was very useful for sandwiches at 4PM after a day at the pool or in Bermuda. The hot dogs were very good as well! Late at night I would sometimes get nachos with cheese sauce.

Entertainment is my favorite thing- I enjoy getting up on stage like on the Epic and playing the piano at Fat Cats and with Howl at the Moon. NCL is very good about this; although there seemed to be more audience participation on the Epic.

Although I enjoyed the cruise as much as the Epic, I think the Epic had some of the better shows (BMG, Legends, I liked the Epic Cirque better)

I thought my service was excellent- made sure to tip my steward extra. My safe didn't work at first and he had someone there within 3 minutes to reset it the first day. Dining room was slow for lunch, decent for dinner.

The cabin was very spacious and comfortable and I am thinking about trying to book last minute for next year.

Bermuda was very enjoyable- highlights for me were: The Dockyard Museum, the Bermuda Triangle Cruise, and Fungolf even though I shot an 86 for hitting to many sand traps.

I skipped some forts, the cave and aquarium but plan on going again. The bus ride back from St George was very scenic and I ate good veal parm at a restaurant called La Tratorria I think .

I liked how the ship was much more open than the Epic- also I found it easier to meet people and find them than on the Epic. I thought I would not like Spice H20 but felt it is improved: even though the pool is gone, I liked the water fall feature. I found some of those day chairs on the left side and combined them which was enjoyable to read on.

Anything I missed? I'll post a link of this in the cc NCL forum.

Disembarkation was much easier (did the early walk off) than the Epic and I was at the Bus Terminal ($16 cab ride) by 8:15 and back home by 11am.

Would I do it again? Defintely!

I was considering going in December possibly but today would likely stick to Bermuda in September Less

Published 10/12/13

Read more Norwegian Breakaway cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Breakaway Review >>

Cabin review:

Excellent mid ship location- it was not noisy and near the elevator but no elevator noise.Climate was easy to control. The Bed is in the middle of the room, not near the door nor the balcony.Couch was nice and comfortable as well.Not sure about the electric- charged my Kindle and might have over charged it?- next time I might bring a power strip.Bathroom was very good- had some problems with the toilet but I think they fixed it- sometimes it took early on some extra pushes of the button to flush it.

Bermuda Triangle Cruise

Well worth the money- only a $5 markup. More fun going with people on the ship.
The boat ride is the best part and they give you info and history. The glass bottom part is okay- we didn't see much of a shipwreck but I would do this one again when I go back,
If you go just for the glass bottom part it was very good- but the ride stood out . I wish it were longer perhaps 2 1/2 hours

Skip X