Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by nalakitty

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by nalakitty
Norwegian Breakaway
Norwegian Breakaway
Member Name: nalakitty
Cruise Date: September 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bermuda
Public Rooms 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+

Pleasant trip!

We were looking for an easy vacation and this fit the bill. We usually don’t cruise with NCL after a bad experience 19 years ago. We decided to try again with the Breakaway. It was a good decision. Living in NJ across the river from the Pier it was an easy trip to the ship. We were dropped off and were on the ship very smoothly. Our cabin 8152 was a nice size and the bathroom was well laid out. There was lots of storage for the two of us. The balcony was on the small size but enough room for the two of us to sit and have our morning coffee. This is all we ask for. My husband and I were curious after reading some reviews warning us of a problem with the room but we could find nothing to complain about. Our cabin steward, Cesaer was very attentive and did a fine job keeping our room ship-shape. There were towel animals nightly. One evening I thought he forgot as the bed was empty but when I turned I saw a monkey hanging from a hanger in a corner of the room it was really a cute surprise.

The problem with the room was the lack of soundproofing. The person in the next room had a snoring issue and sounded like a saw mill all night. I don’t know how her friends got any sleep at all. Then the real noise started with the show on deck 7. The sound of drums at the 7:45 and 10:45 shows was deafening for about 45 min each. The purpose of this trip was to recuperate after planning and organizing a wedding for our daughter. I was looking to catch up on some much needed sleep. I was not interested in “partyhardy” activities. So if you are a person who hits the room late this room is great but if you want rest you may want to avoid it.

We ate in the Bistro, La Cuccina and Cagney’s with the special deal they offered. Cagneys was the best in our opinion. The Bistro food was way too salty and La Cuccina was very ordinary. WE also ate in the buffet, the Manhattan room and Taste. The food there was very ordinary also almost cafeteria like. This is one area where they need to improve. The Circq show was great, The food not so great. My shrimp was not peeled before it was breaded so I was flossing shrimp shells all night. The show was so good it was hard to eat.

The crew was very helpful and friendly. The service was great. The boarding and disembarkation was very organized and orderly.

Bermuda weather was perfect, sunny and warm. We took the ferry to Hamilton and also St Georges. We have been there several times and it was noticeable that St Georges was not as vibrant as it once was. The restaurant we always ate at was boarded up. I guess since the ship no longer docks there business has decreased. Hamilton was the same. We stopped at the Hog Penny as usual.

Our experience in the pool area was good. We never had a problem getting a seat in the shade. I think perhaps the fact that there was a travel agent convention on board that had meetings all day cutting down on the number of people on deck. The slides looked like fun. My husband tried a few and Bikini Bottom for the kids looked like fun. If we had been on this ship when my daughter was little I would have had to drag her away from it.

The television was limited and showed the same shows every day so it was pretty much news all day. The internet on the ship was ridiculously expensive so I used the free wifi at the Hog Penny and I got the 3 days of wifi at the Dockyard. It wasn’t as strong as they said. In fact I practically had to stand in the store to get connected. I was able to get a few important emails out and to check to be sure the newlyweds were ok.

So all in all it was a good trip. I just hope that NCL works on the food issue. I think that Celebrity and Princess have them beat. The ship and the crew especially our room steward helped to erase our bad trip on the Dreamward many years ago.

Publication Date: 10/12/13