Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by Tailwind1

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by Tailwind1
Norwegian Breakaway
Norwegian Breakaway
Member Name: Tailwind1
Cruise Date: September 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bermuda
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+

Breakaway still rocks!!

My wife and I just returned from another sailing to Bermuda aboard the NCL Breakaway. We were on board for the maiden voyage to Bermuda on this ship in May. I wrote a review of that sailing on Cruise Critic. This review is for our 26th cruise, 6th on NCL and 2nd on the Breakaway.

We walked into the Atrium one day and the giant screen was frozen with some sort of error message on it like you'd see on your computer. I was appalled!

Towards the end of the cruise, there was a TV screen in O'Sheehan that was locked up with the "blue screen of death." This ruined our entire week!

In a public restroom, while attempting to wash my hands, I tried to use the automatic hand soap dispenser and it didn't work! I had to move over to the next one! Really???!!! Did they furnish this tub with seconds from Walmart??!!

Let's not even talk about the rain on several days. You'd think that NCL would take care of this! This is a brand new ship! It never rains when we sail Carnival or RCCL.

My wife and I played shuffleboard one day and I noticed little spots of rust on the railing nearby. Great! This thing is already falling apart after a only a few months! Will this boat be merely a pile of Iron Oxide in a couple of years? There was no way that I'd be able sleep another wink this week. Thanks NCL!

We enjoyed walking on the Waterfront until one day we saw some woodwork along the Waterfront with a sign on it that read "Wet Varnish" Freaking wonderful! Do they really think that guests can enjoy their vacation under these circumstances??? I guess the Waterfront is off-limits now, unless you want to risk getting varnish on your hands with no mineral spirits available anywhere in sight! Will this hell never end?

And no review would be complete without mention of the food. Yup! They have food!

If you sense cynicism, sarcasm and comic relief here, you read it right.

Aside from a couple of back-to-back cruises on the Carnival Dream and the Allure of the Seas, this is the only time that we have ever went on the same ship for consecutive cruises. We went on May 12th and again on September 29th. There is a reason for this. The Breakaway is awesome. The comments above are a jab at those that review this ship negatively with no logic whatsoever to support it. There is nothing wrong with this ship with the possible exception of the NY/NJ attitudes of so many on board. I tune them out.

But I do have a number of "negative" comments:

We didn't find time to dine at the Bistro in May, so we made that a priority this time. Wow! What an excellent dining experience! Can't they add a night to the cruise so we don't miss this restaurant again?

Once again, Ocean Blue was great, as was Teppanyaki. I wasn't particularly impressed with La Cucina, but my wife was. I wasn't feeling too well that night, so that was probably the reason. I loved it in May. We did the Chef's Table on Thursday night.... OMG!

We have spent 14 days on this ship and have still not dined everywhere, but I think that the only place left is Wasabi. We love the Raw Bar, the Noodle Bar and everywhere else we've eaten.

You really need to do a back-to-back cruise on this ship because there is simply not enough time to partake it all there is to do and eat in a week. We finally had a meal in the MDR (Savor) and it was excellent in every way.

I wish that we had more time to take in everything. We saw Rock of Ages again, but missed all the other shows. This was quite disappointing. I'm trying to come up with a way to blame NCL for this.

It is hard for me to understand negative reviews of the Breakaway, unless your complaint is that there isn't enough hours in the day.

I heard that NCL speeds up the clocks on board so that the time goes by more quickly. This way NCL gets to do six 7-day cruises per month.

If you're looking for a great time on a great ship, book the Breakaway. We will be going again soon. There is a reason that we've been on twice already. I had a couple of comments last time that have been fixed. I really appreciated this. The interactive video screens were very slow to respond in May. This has been fixed. They are very useful and informative and now more user-friendly. Also, I think that the Breakaway previously lacked a way to view a combined schedule of shows PLUS dining reservations. You can do that now! Excellent.

Take the negative reviews with a grain of salt. The Breakaway rocks!

Publication Date: 10/11/13