Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review by kiwinromysmom: A Lovely Family Vacation on the Carnival Sunshine

kiwinromysmom

A Lovely Family Vacation on the Carnival Sunshine

Sail Date: September 2013
Destination: Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

This was my second time cruising, and the first time was also with Carnival, and I have to say, my experience on the Sunshine was FAR superior to my first cruise experience. It is a shame that the Sunshine is moving to the U.S. next month, as I wish others could enjoy the wonderful experience that our multi-generational family group had on our Mediterranean tour on the Sunshine. Here is a summary of the good (and a little bit of bad) of our cruise experience:

Embarkation: A breeze! It felt like we were on the ship within about 15 minutes of entering the terminal. There were no lines, and everything was organized.

Cabin: Not new, and it didn't even feel all that renovated to be honest, but it was fine. Basically we were not there all that often, and when we were there, we were on the deck enjoying the beautiful views.

Things to Do: Fabulous!! LOVE the Sportsquare and the waterslides. LOVE the trivia contests. LOVE the shows, which were good for the most More part.

Food: Up and Down. LOVED Guys Burger Joint. My 8-year old ate burgers and fries there twice a day for the first four days. I was disappointed by the Fahrenheit steak house...not worth the extra money IMO because the food wasn't that great. My steak was dry and tough. I thought the selection and quality of the main buffet on the Lido deck was surprisingly pretty good. Blue Iguana mexican was just okay, though I did enjoy their breakfast burritos. And the food in the main dining room...thumbs down, which was unfortunate because we all went to dinner together at the 8:15pm seating to catch up and talk with each other about our days, and the service there was PHENOMENAL. But the food just wasnt that great. By the latter part of the cruise I was taking my son to the Lido deck at 6pm and eating dinner with him there before taking him to Camp Carnival so that I wouldn't be too hungry if my 8:15pm sit-down dinner in the dining room was a bust. Oh, another great food option was the 24-hour pizza...it was really good pizza!

On the whole, we really enjoyed our cruise on the lovely renovated Carnival Sunshine, and I would highly recommend this ship to anyone. Less

Read more Carnival Sunshine cruise reviews >>