Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by rhartmiller3: America's Cup

America's Cup

Sail Date: September 2013
Destination: USA
Embarkation: Seattle

My wife and I have been home for two weeks or so and have mellowed from our anger. Time really does heal all wounds. We are both avid Ocean Sailing fans and, to us, the America's Cup Yachting event in San Francisco was theWorld Cup Soccer Championships and the superbowl, all rolled into one.

As beautiful and world class the celebrity Solstice is, it is a Business. Businesses are run from other places, in other cultures that, I have now learned, may not have an understanding or appreciation for my sports passion.

But, to highlite the event in the title of the cruise does set up certain expectations that were grossly unfilled. We boarded two days in advance of our overnight in San Francisco, where the Regatta was staged. The Challenging nation, New Zealand had, the previous week, put the American boat all but on the ropes; needing but two more victories to walk away with the revered trophy. The first of those two races was scheduled during the day that we were sea. More

There was no television coverage (NBC Sports) and You Tube made the entire race available), no information in the daily newsletter, no "Brain Candy" prepared for the more than 800 passengers who were of common interest. The one point of light was the sailing expert who lectured in the great hall.

"Celebrity", your ships are great, your programs are run of the mill, your food is good, your service has its ups and downs. BUT, Your program planning my be lack creativity and culture sensitivity. Less

Read more Celebrity Solstice cruise reviews >>