Viking Europe Cruise Review by nextocruise

Member Name: nextocruise
Cruise Date: April 2013
Embarkation: Lyon
Destination: France
See More About: Viking Europe Cruise Reviews | France Cruise Reviews | Viking River Cruise Deals
Entertainment 5+

Ship Facts: Viking Europe Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Viking Europe Deck Plans
An Unexpected 'Cruise'!

My youthful 95 year old mother & I were looking forward to Viking's 'Portraits of Southern France', our first river cruise in April, 2013. When we arrived in Lyon, we learned our ship, the Europe, had moved down river to Macon, to avoid being trapped behind a low bridge in Chalon-sur-Soane. What a smart move (thank you) because as the river rose during the week, we also learned the flooding river was too high to allow travel. Being more centrally located on our northern portion of our trip meant that we didn't have as long travel time to see all the scheduled sights, or an overcrowded pier.

As the week passed it became apparent our ship would not be moving from our berth. On Friday, we were bused to lovely accommodation in Avignon, and our now 'bus' tour resumed for the southern portion of our trip.

Although it wasn't the trip we'd anticipated, my mother & I were treated so well by the staff, and we thoroughly enjoyed our 'altered' trip. The altered tours to Chateau Cormatin & Hameau DuBoef were especially interesting.

My mother was already talking about another Viking cruise on the flight home! We're off on the 'Danube Waltz' next. I wonder, at 96, will my mother be the oldest traveller on Viking?

Publication Date: 10/09/13