Viking Europe 5

Cruise review of Viking Europe

nextocruise
Member Since 2013

Overall Member Rating

My youthful 95 year old mother & I were looking forward to Viking's 'Portraits of Southern France', our first river cruise in April, 2013. When we arrived in Lyon, we learned our ship, the Europe, had moved down river to Macon, to avoid being trapped behind a low bridge in Chalon-sur-Soane. What a smart move (thank you) because as the river rose during the week, we also learned the flooding river was too high to allow travel. Being more centrally located on our northern portion of our trip meant that we didn't have as long travel time to see all the scheduled sights, or an overcrowded pier.

As the week passed it became apparent our ship would not be moving from our berth. On Friday, we were bused to lovely accommodation in Avignon, and our now 'bus' tour resumed for the southern portion of our trip.

Although it wasn't the trip we'd anticipated, my mother & I were treated so well by the staff, and we thoroughly enjoyed our 'altered' trip. The altered tours to More Chateau Cormatin & Hameau DuBoef were especially interesting.

My mother was already talking about another Viking cruise on the flight home! We're off on the 'Danube Waltz' next. I wonder, at 96, will my mother be the oldest traveller on Viking? Less

Overall Ratings

Sail Date: April 2013
Destination: France
Embarkation: Lyon
Family & Children
Rates
Value for Money

Cabin review:

Our cabin had excellent storage for the two of us, with good hanging space & enough horizontal surfaces. It was wonderful having a large window that opened. I appreciated having easily accessible electrical outlets for charging my tablet, and especially not having to use a convertor for my North American items. I also found the mattress very comfortable, which was so nice after a long day of walking.

Published 10/09/13

Read Cruise Critic's Viking Europe Review
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?