Carnival Glory Cruise Review by Clappy: Great cruise except for the beds & arcade noise

Clappy
Member Since 2013
1 Post

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Canada & New England Cruises

Great cruise except for the beds & arcade noise

Sail Date: September 2013
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

We booked our first cruise on a Carnival ship for my husband, adult daughter, and myself about a month before embarkation and received a call from Carnival ten days before our cruise offering us an upgrade from an Outside cabin to a balcony cabin at a discounted price. We decided to take the offer so we were moved to cabin #6388. We drove to North Bergen, NJ two days before the cruise to have a day to visit NYC. We stayed at the Comfort Inn and was very disappointed with the accommodations. They were definitely not up to typical Comfort Inn standards. We arrived at the port about noon the day of embarkation and the check in process was relatively quick.

After arriving on Glory we made our way up to the Lido deck for lunch at Guy's Burgers which was delicious. We then proceeded down to our cabin and our luggage was delivered within the hour. The first thing we noticed about our cabin was how spacious the cabin was which comfortably fit the three of us. My husband and I then More noticed that our bed had a concave spot in the middle of each mattress so even though the mattresses were put together as one bed you still couldn't sleep near each other because you would roll back into your respective hole. The beds seemed very old and were so compressed they didn't have any bounce to them and were like sleeping on a cement slab.

One other issue we had with our cabin is the fact that you could hear the sounds and music from the arcade in our cabin at all times day and night. We will forever have the Pac Man tune stuck in our heads! I reported the sounds to guest services and they stated that they had to come up to our cabin and validate that we were really able to hear the noises. They contacted us everyday to see if the noise was better but nothing ever seemed to be different. In the end they decided to give us a 15% discount on our cruise fares since they couldn't correct the problem. Honestly I would have rather had some good night sleeps rather than the discounts.

That being said the shows on the ship were wonderful; however, we didn't care for the comedy shows we attended. I didn't get to attend many of the events such as trivia because most of them were held in the Casino or a bar since I have asthma and cannot be around cigarette smoke. It would be nice if one of the cruise ship lines would periodically host a completely non-smoking cruise. I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem filling the ship!

We ate in the "Your Time Dining" dining room since they were unable to satisfy our request of the 6 pm seating in the main dining room. The food was typical dining room fare and was very tasty. We also ate in the steakhouse for our daughter's birthday. The steaks were delicious but were too big for me. The price of $35 per person I feel is too expensive and apparently most passengers agreed with me since the restaurant was mostly empty.

We stopped in Boston, Portland, ME, St. John, New Brunswick, and Halifax, Nova Scotia. We took a Duck Tour in Boston which was a couple of hours long and focused mainly on the historical sites around the city. Don't forget the most economical way to get around Boston is by using the public bus and subway system.

We took the House Island excursion in Portland, ME. They ferried us over to the island on the island owner's boat. There was not enough inside seating and the temperature was only in the 50's when we left port so it was an extremely cold ride. A brother and sister own the island and the brother is the person who gives you a tour of the Civil War era fort. The fort itself was interesting but he had a tendency to go off onto subjects that really had nothing to do with what we were viewing and was at times very boring. Part of the $99 price included a lobster dinner which was pretty good.

We rented our own vehicle in St. John, New Brunswick and took off to view the country side. We ended up out at St. Martin which was very beautiful; however, no one bothered to mention the tide is not far enough out to view the caves until midday or early afternoon. We talked to many people who had taken the ship excursion and they also were taken out there in the morning so they weren't able to see them either. Needless to say they were not happy. I enjoyed this day the most out of all of our stops.

We just decided to walk around Halifax rather than take a tour. They have built a lovely boardwalk along the water and it was nice just to leisurely stroll and relax.

Disembarkation went smoothly. We were waiting for a taxi but the line was enormous so we went downstairs, crossed the street and caught a taxi much quicker over there.

Overall not too bad a cruise; however, I can say this is the first cruise I have ever went home from feeling utterly exhausted from lack of sleep. Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Glory Review >>

Read 222 Boston Reviews

Duck Tour

(4)

We took a Duck Tour in Boston which was a couple of hours long and focused mainly on the historical sites around the city. Since this is not really my "thing" I found it really boring; however, my husband really enjoyed it.

Read 347 Halifax Reviews