Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by seafarernc

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by seafarernc
Celebrity Silhouette
Celebrity Silhouette
Member Name: seafarernc
Cruise Date: September 2013
Embarkation: Venice
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
See More About: Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals

Adriatic cruise

We just returned from the 11 night Celebrity Silhouette cruise from Venice with stops in Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, and Malta. This is our third Celebrity cruise and second on the Silhouette. I will not elaborate on the ship itself as I agree with all the previous favorable reviews. What I will try to do is offer a few suggestions to enhance your cruise experience if you choose this cruise or a similar cruise. This cruise itinerary is fairly port intensive with only one sea day but the ports of call are all unique and interesting and I would not trade any for an additional sea day. We did a mix of Celebrity shore excursions for some ports and did others on our own. I think all of the ports are doable on your own if you so desire.

My first suggestion is not to miss the sail aways especially from Venice, Split, Kotor, and Malta. If you have a balcony stateroom as we did it is convenient to watch the sail away from your own room however you miss half the panorama of leaving. We would position ourselves in the outdoor café or bar at the rear of the ship and enjoy the complete experience as we were leaving which was even more enjoyable with some wine and snacks.

My next suggestion is to venture outside the main port of call on shore days. I would recommend going to Trogir while in Split, Perast while in Kotor, and Mdina while in Malta for a more complete experience. You can do this on shore excursions but they are close enough that you can go by taxi or bus on your own. There are other interesting places in addition to these but for historical significance these were our favorites. I recommend doing the cablecar in Dubrovnik for a panoramic view and to get an overview of the walled city. I would recommend doing it early rather than later so as to avoid the crowds and heat later in the day. In Slovenia we went to Ljubljana which was interesting but took up the majority of the day due the distance. In Catania we went to Siricusa which also took the majority of the day but again is historically significant. We had previously done Pompeii, Sorrento and Capri so we spent our last shore day exploring Naples itself. It is big and dirty but we never felt unsafe and the Archaeological museum in Naples contains a large collection of artifacts from Pompeii. The churches were interesting and the pizza was outstanding.

Overall this was a very enjoyable cruise and I would highly recommend it and hope these suggestions will enhance your own experience if you choose to go.

Publication Date: 10/07/13