Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by WHIT47

Destination: Bahamas
Dining 5+

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sky Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sky Deck Plans
Great Anniversary Cruise

My husband surprised me with a cruise on the Norwegian SKy for our anniversary. It was his first cruise and my second (first with Norwegian). He booked the owners suite 9201. Since we got a suite, we had priority boarding and were on the ship and eating lunch in Cagney's Steak House all within about 20 minutes. We met out Butler, Jose, and David our concierge right away and they were fantastic and always checking on us.

ROOM

Our suite had a sitting area with a flat screen, table w/ 4 chairs, murphy bed, wet bar with 2 bar stools, espresso machine, separate bed room with a very comfortable queen size bed, lap top, another flat screen, walk in closet with robes and slippers, bathroom with shower and nice large tub, another half bath, and tons of storage. We had a large balcony overlooking the front of the ship with two lounge chairs and a hot tub. AMAZING! We had a bottle of champagne awaiting us in the room. The suite also came with your choice of 3 more bottles of liquor or wine and a constantly stocked mini fridge. Jose our butler brought treats every afternoon too. You could have plenty to eat or drink without every leaving the room.

PACKAGE

My husband booked the anniversary package that came with another bottle of sparkling wine, chocolate covered strawberries, and a dozen beautiful red roses. The package also included 2 25 minutes massages (he let me have both), dinner in Le Bisto, which was fantastic, breakfast in bed one morning, and a free 8 X 10 photo.

FOOD

We ate dinner in the Palace Dining Room twice and got to have dinner with the Captain in the Crossing dining room once. Everything on the menu looked delicious and was comparable to a high end restaurant, and everything we had was great. I really don't think there is any reason to pay extra for the specialty restaurants since the food was so good in these.

We had breakfast in Cagney's one morning (breakfast and lunch there is available for suite guests). They had a buffet with fruits and pastries and then a menu as well. The crab cake eggs benedict with french pressed coffee was very extravagant.

Breakfast in the Great Outdoor Buffet was good too. This was our only experience at the buffet. The only thing missing was biscuits and sausage gravy (we are from the south.)

PORTS

The sunrise from the balcony on the first morning when we were anchored at Great Stirrup Cay was so beautiful. You cannot miss the sunrises and sunsets when you are on a boat in the Bahamas. The colors are out of this world.

We booked a private cabana on Great Stirrup Cay, which would have been perfect, BUT they were doing construction 20 feet from our cabana. If you get one, make sure you are in cabana 1-5 or so. We were in 10 and all I heard and saw the WHOLE time was backhoes, drilling, and hammering. The view was also blocked somewhat by a green construction barrier. I was very disappointed in this as it was one of the main things I was looking forward to and it was extremely loud and obnoxious. The was a small refrigerator with water, a ceiling fan, table and chairs, lounge chairs, and a hammock (right next to the backhoe :/ ) At least when we got in the water, we were relaxed. The beach where we were was not rocky as some have said and the water was beautiful. We saw a stingray and some really pretty blue fish. I thought the island BBQ was very good. They had yolo boards, jet skis, parasailing, and snorkeling equipment to rent.

The next stop was at Nassau. We booked the Sea Lion Encounter at Blue Lagoon Island. We boarded a boat for a beautiful ride to the island. The also have a dolphin encounter, but I'm partial to the sea lions. We had a short introduction and then got in the water to spend time with Maggie. We got kisses, hugs, and got to rub her belly and she did a few tricks for us. We were in the water with her about 30 minutes and they took tons of pictures. It was really cool! Our boat had engine problems on the way back so we docked and they got us on shuttles back to the port very quickly. It was no big deal and we got to see some of the city.

The last stop was Grand Bahama. We did not have anything planned here and ended up taking a shuttle to Grand Lucaya. They had some shops, bars, restaurants, and a really pretty public beach that would be nice for a relaxing beach day.

ENTERTAINMENT

All the eating, drinking, and beaching kinda took it out of us, so we didn't get into the night life much. We did go to the casino one night. We left ahead, so that was good. We watched the comedian who was just OK. He talked a lot about his kids, and we don't have any, so it wasn't that funny to me. He did have an adult only show, but we missed that one. The dancing and singing were pretty cheesy to me too.

SPA

I had a lower body and upper body massage and they were both really good. Some people made comments that it was a light rub down. I've had a lot of massages and I thought they both ranked right up there. If you want more pressure, all you have to do is ask. They did try to sell me some oil at the end of one of them, but I just said, "No, thank you."

GYM

The gym on this ship is adequate. There were some treadmills, bikes, ellipticals, free weights, benches and a few machines. There was a cardio room too that had steps, bisou balls, mats, and that kind of stuff. They offered a couple classes, but you had to pay quite a bit for that. I would have liked to have seen some complimentary cardio classes. There was an outdoor "track" also, but parts of it were usually closed and you can't run on it from 8:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m.

STAFF

The staff on this ship was so nice. Every time you passed someone in the hall, they would smile and say hello. The waiters in all the restaurants were amazing. The staff always called you by name. Our butler, Jose, won over my husband with all the food he was always leaving in our room.

CONCLUSION

We had a fantastic time on this cruise. We are pretty easy going people and appreciate all the little touches. I think this is a great cruise for first timers. My husband was a little apprehensive about being cooped up on a ship with 2000 people (we are not the most social couple) but it was not a problem at all. Nothing every really seemed too crowded and the length was perfect for a first timer. This trip sold him on cruises and he wants to go on another one. Norwegian definitely did us right!

Publication Date: 10/05/13