Star Princess Cruise Review by BigOrange

Member Name: BigOrange
Cruise Date: September 2013
Embarkation: Vancouver
Destination: U.S.A.
See More About: Star Princess Cruise Reviews | U.S.A. Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals
Shore Excursions 5+

Ship Facts: Star Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Star Princess Deck Plans
Fun coastal cruise

Arrived a day early so we could see Vancouver. We stayed at the Marriott Pinnacle which was a very convenient location. There were 8 of us that sailed together. The embarkation was one of the easiest we have ever encountered in our cruise experiences and we were soon on board and could go to our cabins. As we came on board, 4 of us were directed to the front of the ship and 4 to the rear. I asked a ship representative which dining room was open and was told to go to the buffet. I insisted that one of the dining rooms was open because I had read about it on Cruise Critic. She finally admitted that the dining room was open and we went for lunch. The other 4 people were told that the dining room was NOT open and they went to the buffet. I really wonder why they do not tell you about the dining room as our lunch was very good.

Our cabin was exterior with a window and we found it adequate. I did take some extra hangers from home but did not need them! I always take a night light to put in the bathroom. Our steward did a good job keeping our room clean and stocked.

After reading the reviews, we mainly ate room service for breakfast and dinner in the dining room. We did eat in the Crown Grill 2 nights. The first night, we had terrible service. When you are paying extra, you expect extra and we were disappointed. I will have to say that I think the problem was our waiter had all 8 of us by himself plus a couple of other tables. We returned on the last night aboard ship and had another waiter. Again, he served us by himself but did a better job. We noticed that there were very few people eating there that night so there must be some problems that Princess needs to address. On sea day, we had lunch in the Crown Grill and it was excellent and no extra charge (Fish and chips and Bread pudding- Yummy!)

We enjoyed every port including Astoria, Oregon. If you dock there, do not expect much to do but it was a quaint town with very friendly people! My husband wanted to try some of the local beers so I went with him to a couple of pubs where we had great food and a fun atmosphere. We went through Princess for a wine excursion in Seattle and enjoyed our time. We booked our own trip to Alcatraz in San Francisco (close walk to the dock for the boats over there) and our own wine tasting excursion in Santa Barbara. I found many companies in Santa Barbara that offered private tours and we chose EOS. They were great and took us to 3 wineries and included lunch for 1/2 of the cost of the one through Princess.

We did not go to many of the shows because we feel once you have been to one, they are so much alike. We did see the comedian and he was good. My husband and I went to the disco some of the nights as we like to dance. It was never crowded and we enjoyed the music except when the DJ decided to play rap type music. As the people on this ship were mostly on the more mature side, I did not understand why he chose to do this. In his defense, he did ask for requests!!!! The nights we were out past midnight were strange because you did not see many passengers up at that time.

Our disembarkation was as easy as embarkation. We left the ship before 10 a.m. and within an hour we were at the airport (we booked our own shuttle).

We enjoyed our cruise and would cruise with Princess again but I do think they need to work on service AND charging extra for everything!!!! We were surprised that you had to pay to use one of the pool areas! One problem we had that they should have been aware of was in San Francisco. Another Princess ship was using the same terminal (for disembarkation and embarkation) and it was a problem getting through the terminal with a long line for boarding.

Publication Date: 10/02/13