Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by sunkissed13

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by sunkissed13
Norwegian Breakaway
Norwegian Breakaway
Member Name: sunkissed13
Cruise Date: September 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bermuda
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+

Great experience by all

This was our second time on a NCL cruise, our first on the newest member of the fleet, The Breakaway. I have to say like others who have written about her we were a bit nervous after reading the reviews. First I have to say I (we) went with an open mind and made our own conclusions. I never had the used car salesman feeling until i tried to get the lowest price guarantee adjusted. They did give me an option to move 10 doors up to mid or an on board credit, but after hearing what some other fellow cruisers paid I still feel a bit beat up. So next cruise I will explore all offers and deals, and maybe even book later to see a drop in price.

Boarding:

We walked on before noon and were dining on some delicious food and sipping wine while the other people rushed aboard right up to the plank going up. Our cabin was roomy and beautiful, unlike the horror stories and whining about small rooms and balconies. Not even a issue for the 2 of us for the week, and plenty of storage everywhere for our stuff. Our champagne was chilled and waiting for us as promised. Very nice indeed.

Dining:

Making our first nights dinner plans I read that if we booked a specialty restaurant for that night we could get a free bottle of wine. Hmm we were already comped for 2 for Cagneys so we treated our parents and low in behold 2 free bottles of wine. Wow what a deal, so for 60.00 bucks we ate tender perfectly cooked Filet Mignon, had shrimp cocktails,Cesar salad, a cheesecake and 2 bottles of house red. A true deal for sure, this trip was shaping up rather nicely.

We moved between the Manhattan Room, Taste and Savor, and even ate in the cafe upstairs for lobster tails, I must have had 12 (hey they were small) and no up charge for them either. We dined on Prime rib, other sea food, and some other delicious food all week long. Ok Saturday night we made a reservation at La Cuchina and I had 2 portions of Osso Bocco that was out of this world. Well done indeed.

The rest of the places to eat were also good, lunches, breakfasts, and specialties as well. A fun thing was the saberet hot dog cart that was wheeled all over the ship, where you could get a dirty water dog to hold you over to the next dinner. I don't even have the time to tell you about the lobster rolls, sushi, and other fine foods offered.

Room Service:

They would deliver hot coffee every morning, fast, but never enough, the pots were tiny and I asked for 2 every day and only one of the days did I actually get 2. One evening we decided to skip the night life after a over stuffed diner and called for a bottle of wine (yes we love wine) and they were bust telling us 30 to 40 minutes wait. Well after 90 minutes it never came and we fell asleep for the night. Well that didn't sit to well with me and while she was getting ready for Saturday nights dinner, I walked down to customer service and voiced by dissatisfaction with the otherwise good room service. They brought down the head person and she comped us a free bottle of wine for dinner that night. Yes 3 free bottles of wine and 1 complimentary champagne on the trip, not to bad at all.

Drinks:

Drink prices were fair considering, and strong most of the time, we kept turning down the doubles.

Beers were fair as well and quality was good.

Service:

Restaurants- excellent all the way

Bars- just bars was also excellent

Irish Pub - bar tenders and waiters weren't that great even when at the bar sitting in front of them

Pool bars servers- good overall

Entertainment venues- good service

Cabin Steward- Filemon "phil" was the man, awesome, friendly and made our stay quite special.

Shows: Top quality

We booked numerous shows and took advantage of what we could work into our schedule.

Pools:

Not enough of them or hot tubs and both not warm enough. Plenty of deck chairs, just crowded area.

Gym: Never saw it or used it, hey we were on vacation.

Haven Spa: Couldn't afford it.

Bermuda:

Was an island paradise unlike no other island, the people, and cleanliness was unlike any other. We have been in Mexico, Bahamas, Jamaica, Totally felt safe all over. And the beaches were the nicest ever.

Disembarkation; easy orderly and fast. Was off ship by 9am. Amazing

Rude people:

The people who don't follow rules, listen, read, and who are not courteous for elderly, handicapped, pregnant, old, and only care about themselves also suck.

NCL did a great job and i thank them all. If i left anything out oh well its time for american pizza. Good night and enjoy your next cruise.

Publication Date: 10/01/13