“Sept 2013 Panama Canal Eastbound”
Cruise review of Disney Wonder

Activated95b Disney Wonder 5 Sept 2013 Panama Canal Eastbound
Activated95b
Member Since 2008
Overall Member Rating

In terms of family experience - I was extremely impressed. We sailed with a set of three year old boy-girl twins and the children's programs were excellent. Another thing that I really liked was the fact that I didn't have to worry about the children being exposed to age-inappropriate entertainment. And in fact when our son took off on us and got away we went to find a crewmember for help after searching for about 2 minutes. The guy then made a phone call and told us that he had not only been found - he was already in the Oceaneer Club (the area set aside for children 2-4 years old). I was extremely impressed at the proactive approach they take to lost children.

The food was very good (my previous cruises were on Holland America and Disney came close to but did not match HA's food). The service was above excellent however. We kept the same servers for the entire cruise and after a couple of days our preferred drinks were waiting for us on the table when we showed up for our dinner. The 24 hour a day free soda, coffee, milk, and ice cream was also something they deserve 5 stars for.

The character meets were also impressive as Disney uses their entertainment staff to represent the characters. This meant that the people dressed up as the characters were trained stage actors instead of some random person stuffed into a mickey suit. As a result the characters displayed the same mannerisms as we saw in the movies. The kids loved the character meets and couldn't get enough of them.

Another pleasant surprise was the ships stores. I was expecting the prices to be jacked up but discovered that the prices on the ship were the same as in the Disney store in the Mall near my home. (Leading to overstuffed suitcases on our flight home.)

Our room was large (214 sq feet) with an excellent layout. The split bathrooms were very helpful in terms of getting everybody showered pottyed and dressed in the mornings. Disney classic movies played on both Funnelvision and the shipboard cable system. My only recommendation for improvement is that the channel guide on the cable be modified to show the start times for the movies.

Can't really comment on value for the money because we qualified for the military discount and essentially got the cruise for half-price.

In summary - we loved it and are definitely going to sail on Disney again.

Disney Wonder Cruises to the Panama Canal & Central America
  • Service
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review:

A large inside cabin on the lowest passenger deck. Very little motion as compared to the upper decks however - underneath that section of cabins was some kind of loud hydraulic accumulator pump that would cycle every 15 minutes or so.
Published 09/30/13
Read Cruise Critic’s Disney Wonder Review
Disney Wonder Cruises to the Panama Canal & Central America
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?