Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review by ihope: Great cruise, great value!

ihope
Member Since 2012

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Majesty of the Seas Bahamas Cruises

Great cruise, great value!

Sail Date: September 2013
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Other

I really had a great time on the Majesty, especially considering that it was my first time cruising solo! I arrived the night before in Ft. Lauderdale and stayed at the Hampton Inn on Stirling Rd which is conveniently close to a strip mall with a Kmart. The next morning, I used the SAS shuttle to get to the Port of Miami.

The Pros:

-Embarkation and debarkation were relatively easy - it took somewhere between 45min to 1 hour from ship to sidewalk.

-Spa: The first day, I bought the $89 "Tension Tamer" spa package (back/shoulder/neck massage, ankle/foot massage, mini-facial, and scalp massage - all in 50min). My massage therapist was this tiny, sweet lady with the hand strength of Thor. I have bruises on my ankles that are still healing two weeks later. Don't get me wrong, I love deep tissue massages and I have a hard time getting my therapists to really dig deep to work my knots out. This lady went all out and definitely earned her gratuity.

-Nassau: More Before the cruise, I bought a ticket for the Tru Bahamian Food Tour and had an excellent time. Five hours of wonderful food, interesting history, and gorgeous scenery. Absolutely worth every penny. It made me see and understand Nassau in ways I definitely wouldn't have alone (see Cons below).

-Cococay: Has practically every type of beach activity one could want, but I spent my day on Barefoot Beach either sitting in the knee height water with a drink, reading in the shade, or napping in a hammock. It was the first day during my vacation that I finally felt like I was unwinding.

-Key West: Bought a ticket for the ship's bike tour excursion (through Key Lime Bike Tours). I think my tour guide was tired or little burnt out, so the history part of the tour seemed lackluster, but it was fun to see the island by bike. I would recommend renting a bike, finding your own interesting sites, and definitely chatting up the locals.

-Rock Wall: Challenging, but a lot of fun! The wall mounted bells are a great motivator - I definitely pushed myself just so I could ring the top bell.

-Cost: For less than $550, I got to cruise for 4-nights in an OV cabin and visit three ports (Nassau, Cococay, and Key West) for the first time. The food was good (a tad on the salty side) and I was extremely entertained by the comedy and audience participation shows.

The Cons:

-Nassau: As a single lady, I felt really uncomfortable walking the streets alone. The street hawkers were pretty aggressive and men would approach me to offer rides or company. If it wasn't for the food tour, I think I would have turned tail after ten minutes and spent the day on the ship which would have been a total loss.

-'Broadway' Shows: The singers were off putting and the dancing choreography was mediocre at best.

-Seminars (Shopping/Fitness): Soooo boring. The raffle tickets and cheap trinkets you get from these are not worth the hour you spend listening to people fast talk their way into getting you to buy things.

-Solo Friendly Activities: Not really a deal breaker, but I was hoping there would be more trivia or educational activities to join.

The Amazing:

-MDR: Maybe this was an isolated incident with one staff member, but the assistant maitre d' who was handling the 9pm seating reservation wasn't very caring about where I sat even though I explicitly asked to sit with other solo cruisers or couples. I can handle most aspects of going solo, but I just could not bear the thought of dining alone in the MDR. And that is exactly what happened the first night - I found myself sitting at a ten top table alone. I asked the assistant maitre d' if I could sit somewhere else and was told to stay there and see if anyone else showed up. After ten minutes, I was so uncomfortable that I got up and left without ordering anything. I pretty much vowed then and there to get dinner from the cafeteria.

The next night, the head maitre d', Christian, called my room asking if I was okay. My waiter had noticed that I had gone missing and was worried about me. How kind is that?! I told Christian about my issue with sitting at a big table alone and he said that he would personally change my table reservation and he did an excellent job of it. He was very careful to find a table of English speakers and I ended up having two wonderful meals with my new tablemates. I couldn't ask for more. Less

Read more Majesty of the Seas cruise reviews >>