Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by legalwife: Carnival Triumph - Eastern Caribbean

legalwife
Member Since 2000
1,779 Posts

Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Triumph Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Triumph - Eastern Caribbean

Sail Date: October 2006

Finally, I am writing the promised review! I am 49 years old, husband is 53. We have cruised several times before but this was our first to the Eastern Caribbean. Our sons did not come along on this trip.

We spent night at Renaissance at Atlanta Airport on Thursday. Love this place. I always request a room overlooking the runway. This was also a Marriott Reward points freebee so that was a definite plus! We leave our car there for $6.00 per night and take van to airport. So convenient! Breakfast buffet here is great.

We flew to Miami on Friday a.m. Ship sailing on Saturday. I have been one to fly in on day of many, many times, BUT after our return flight scenario, I will always go day early if at all possible. Spent night at Doubletree in Downtown Miami. Nice place overlooking harbor and little shops connected for stroll. Metro Mover was easy walk and free ride to Bayside. Fine on way over but was getting dark on way back and there were some, ah, definite More characters on board. Remember - I live near Atlanta so accustomed to some things, but the fellow loudly shouting rap laced with profanities and stoned out of his mind was a bit much for me. Would definitely recommend Metro Mover but in daylight. Saw Holiday Inn at Bayside and it has my vote for convenience. Liked Doubletree property better, but Holiday Inn was right at Bayside and great spot to stay and walk over to shops and restaurants there. I had gone on Restaurant.com and picked up $25.00 gift certificate for $4.00 for restaurant at Bayside. You can do search by zip code. Great deal and enjoyed the dinner.

Were able to see ships in port from our room. Took cab for about $10.00 I think to port and we were in line by 11:30ish. On board very easily by 12:15. Good check in procedure.

Went on up to Lido and began the first food fest. Food was actually quite good for the welcome buffet. Went down after awhile to check our our cabin. It was one of the mysterious L-shaped and we really liked it. The balcony was twice the length of other standard balconies and had four plastic chairs and one table. Two of the chairs were low, loungey kind of chairs and were quite comfortable. We were able to keep our door open with bungee cord. Bathroom was ample size. Bed was facing balcony. Had one extra closet and really liked having it. Suitcases fit well under bed. It was a queen bed and there was a sofa in the room as well. No refrigerator but we brought collapsible cooler. Was great to have ice machine right down the hall. Our steward was great but it was convenient to shoot over when we wanted more. Laundry facility close by too and did not seem packed even though we were a full sailing. Oh! I peeked at the 9A corner wrap around cabin and it looked really great! If you can swing it, get it!

Ship was in good shape. I agree that it is a bit confusing to get from one end to the other and appreciate the tips offered by others. My husband did better navigating than I did. We were in Paris Dining Room and food was quite good. I only had one bad thing and that was New York Strip and I think I just got a bad one. I was misinformed by Carnival that I could order regular dinner items during dinner hours through room service. You cannot.

Shows were pretty good. Not great but pretty good and still enjoyable. Did not go to Art Auction. Did see Newlywed Game and it was good as always. Did go to Karaoke one night. No movie theater.

Not many kids on this trip. Was glad we had not brought our 16 year old son with us as he would have climbed the wall. Not enough activities on board ship during sea days, in our opinion.

Which, brings me to a thought for you. We sailed on Sat. at 4:00. We had all night and all day Sunday and Sunday night at sea. We also had all day Monday until 5:00 at sea. On return, we had Wednesday evening, all day Thursday and all day Friday at sea. If you love sea days, this is great for you. I would rather have had more port time and should have realized this going in. All in all, we were actually in a port, aside from Miami sail away, 2 1/2 days for a 7 day cruise. This was too long at sea for us, but we knew the deal before we chose this trip and so be it. Won't make the mistake again.

We chose to self disembark, which was piece of cake, and raced to the Miami airport. I had called at 5:00 a.m. when almost in Miami to move our flight up to 10:30 rather than booked afternoon flight. Great! Seats were available and all set - until our flight was cancelled due to flight crew screw up. Was not told this until 12:00 noon. Felt sorry for people with connecting. To make a long story short, we were bussed to West Palm Beach 80 miles away and put on a flight at 5:30 p.m. Never had had a major flight screw up before but sure did re-think my flying in day of for the future! Don't do it unless you have to. Things happen!

Bottom line, Triumph was a decent ship. Crew on ship was very pleasant, more passengers were grumpy! :) I have said sea days too long. Ports were just okay. Too short in San Juan and it was just okay, St Thomas was dirty and did not do a lot for me. In St. Thomas we did Coral World on own and Coki Beach. Snorkeling was good but too many vendors on beach. My favorite was Saint Martin, the Dutch side. Glad we took taxi island tour and enjoyed it immensely. Loved the Fun Ship Special drinks on ship, loved our balcony, and still love cruising.

Yes, I should have written this sooner as I am sure it would have been more fresh in my mind, but here it is and hope it helps. Less

Read more Carnival Triumph cruise reviews >>