Viking Prestige Cruise Review by geekgoddess

Member Name: geekgoddess
Cruise Date: September 2013
Embarkation: other
Destination: Europe River
See More About: Viking Prestige Cruise Reviews | Europe River Cruise Reviews | Viking River Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+

Ship Facts: Viking Prestige Review (by Cruise Critic!)
Loved the Prestige for our River Trip - Trier to Bamberg

My husband and I took an 8 day trip, Vistas and Vineyard, on the Viking Prestige.

First let me start with everything we loved.

Our room was great, #331, located just passed the center of the ship. We were very close to the library and stair well to the top. The stateroom was very organized and had plenty of room. You can open you sliding glass doors and you feel like you have your own cruiser, just goin' down the river.

The wine was over flowing. I am sure I had my Franconian Monk portion of 5 liters per day. The restaurant staff was very efficient. There were some language barriers but all you had to do was ask Zoran the Magnificent and he would handle all issue ASAP. The food was typical European. My husband is a picky eater, so he cannot comment on the food. I found most of it very good. There is a coffee and beverage service bar on the lounge floor and it was always completely stocked with coffee, tea, lattes, etc and of course pastry and cookies. Housekeeping was above and beyond service. I felt like I was a guest at Downton Abbey with all the attention.

Our program director, Luke, was the greatest. He made all the tours fun and entertaining. The tours are quite intensive and plentiful.

Overall I give Viking 5 out of 5 stars. It was a great trip.

The cons:

Smoking on the sides and top of ship was annoying. As Americans we are not used to being exposed to smokers near our housing. 90% of the staff were smokers and they sat in the back cockpit area of the ship smoking, which made the back deck area an unacceptable area for viewing the shore from the ship during cruising. I would of course prefer an all non-smoking cruise, but since 90% of the population of Europe smoke, I don’t see that ever happening.

Some of the excursions were a bit rushed and some of the guides got a little boring with too much statistical information instead of interesting stories of the area (except Luke, he was always interesting).

We were not informed when we booked that the sun deck would be closed for 3 days of the journey, because of low bridges. Since we had already toured Germany several years ago, we mainly wanted the boat experience. We were looking forward to sitting up top, drinking wine and watching the world go by, but that was not available to us the last 3 cruising days of the trip.

We would have like more time in the smaller cities like Rudeshiem and Koblenz and less time on full day excursions to large places like Heidelberg.

Susan from Georgia