Star Princess Cruise Review by Cruising Young Senior

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Star Princess Cruise Review by Cruising Young Senior
Star Princess
Star Princess
Member Name: Cruising Young Senior
Cruise Date: September 2013
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: DD
Cabin Number: P237
See More About: Star Princess Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Ship Facts: Star Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Star Princess Deck Plans
Star Princess-Traveling on a budget

When I discovered on my e-mails a last minute cruise, I checked the airlines and yeah, it was affordable. I thought I wasn't going to Alaska until next year. I booked Alaska Air going and Southwest returning roundtrip Seattle/Burbank.

At Sea-Tac we walked across bridge to Seattle Shuttle to Pier 91. $22 PP. And it's closer than walking to the Princess Shuttle. We did see helpful Holland/Princess guides at the baggage pickup to guide them to the shuttle. It's a shared ride.

We were on Plaza deck 5. I like to buy a Cafe card for $33 total. That gives you 15 "Starbucks" type designer coffees." As well as unlimited fresh brewed coffee, tea, hot chocolate. I do this on every Princess. Their coffee in the restaurants and room service is the coffee syrup. When I am on Plaza deck I don't need the morning room service, I go to the Int'l Cafe for 2 large lattes.

(Our morning milk with cream.)

We had fixed dining at 6pm. And let our waitress know if we couldn't be there the following evenings, we shared with 4 nice ladies.

Our first time in Alaska, it did not rain once! We could see the tops of the mountains the entire week. 3 separate times we saw Humpback Whales and Orcas.

When we cruised the Tracy Arm Fjord, it was the second day that summer the Captain was able to cruise right up to Sawyer Glacier. We saw Sea Lions laying on their little glaciers.

Juneau, we just got of the ship, there are kiosts all along the dock. We booked a Mendenhall Glacier Tour for $25. It's also $3 to get into Visitors Center. We did not walk all the way to Nuggets Falls. Afterwards I walked the streets of Juneau, taking pictures.

Skagway, took the White Yukon train. A 3 1/2 hour round trip train ride. A must see. The seats were padded, and a heater, bathroom in every car. Train right on the docks. But if you book direct thru the rail you save $9 PP. Took 8:10 trains so we could get back on ship for lunch then shop.

Ketchikan. Took the .50 Silver Line Public bus all the way to the South, there is a Totem Pole Park there for $5, but we stayed on bus. Got off at the Northern tip for the free State Park viewing of Totem Poles. They wait for you when you get off of bus, free coffee hot chocolate, restrooms. Gift shop next door. Then we went back to ship for lunch and the Visitors Center has a Free Walking Tour we did, Creek St etc. Ship left at 12:30pm. 7 cruisers left behind!

Victoria BC We booked the night time tour thru the ship. It was really beautiful. Lit up at night with fountains etc. Gift shop. Would like to see it again. $75 thru the ship.

Back to Seattle, we took the disembarkation tour. This was nice, we were able to leave our luggage on the bus while we toured each stop. Price included the Space Needle. We had 1 hour at Pikes Market, not enough time. I'd like to go again and spend more time there. If you do this, bring a sandwich off of the ship, we spend half a hour eating, waste of time.

We had a long walk from where the shuttle drops you off to go to the Airlines.

I am excited now I will be Platinum with Princess. My 13th cruise.

Publication Date: 09/27/13