Statendam Cruise Review by kristenslyric: Holland America has a ways to go in their customer service to even

kristenslyric
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Statendam Panama Canal & Central America Cruises

Holland America has a ways to go in their customer service to even

Sail Date: May 2013
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America
Embarkation: San Diego

I took my Grandfather on a 14 day cruise to fulfill a promise I made to him to take him north, south, east and west. This cruise was thru the Panama Canal (south). It started out with the best expectations. However, I quickly found that this cruise would be fraught with frustrations. I somehow managed to upset the room service folks and the whole cruise I don't think I had one meal that was as ordered; and you'll get a better idea of exactly how frustrating by the end of this.

The first few ports were great. Then my Grandfather managed to hurt himself on one of the deck chairs (many of them had screws loose or missing). I took him to the Doctor and he said he was ok, but his leg kept getting worse and by the last couple of days on the Statendam he could not walk. The only way I could get a wheelchair was to rent one. For the last three days they wanted me to pay $145! It was their deck chair that hurt him and they were ruthless in the requirement of payment before I could get More a wheelchair! So we are basically stuck in our cabin and even thought I tipped, room service never did get the orders right and on the last day, they gave us used silverware! :-( Please consider before using Holland America. Do not get sick, they will be very unsympathetic and not to helpful.

I do have many other frustrations over this one cruise with them too. Just think twice about using them. I have had such delightful experiences with other cruise lines that it highlighted how poorly they behaved.

At the end of the cruise, I was so exhausted that I just didn't have the energy to complain over the fact that they just took out a daily gratuity whether I felt they deserved it or not:-( While our room steward was terrific, I would not have given anyone else a dime. Less

Read more Statendam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Statendam Review >>

Cabin review: Statendam Standard Interior Stateroom A

An adequate space to sleep in and prepare to go play in. Not good if you get sick and are stuck for days.

City Tour

(5)
A quick (too quick) tour of the city with a bit of shopping at the end. It was such a hot day that I was very glad I took an airconditioned bus! It really is a lovely city.

We had a great time just driving around in a taxi. We picked up a few things that we forgot at the Wal-Mart there as well.