Royal Princess Cruise Review by djtx2

Embarkation: Venice
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Cabin Category: BD
Cabin Number: D148
See More About: Royal Princess Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

1/2 cruise was better than no cruise at all!

OK, so we broke down 1/2 way thru the trip. I would still get back on and do it all over again! I feel I have been on enough cruises to give you a realistic view of this ship and what to expect. The ship, being brand new is everything and more than you would expect. The Piazza is beautiful and SO much larger than all the rest of the ships. Entertainment in the Princess Theater was good, not great. Seemed like the singing and dancing got repeatative night after night only different songs and costumes. Magician was good as well.

Our balcony room was wonderful, and it is NO big deal about the toliet paper roll as I have read on so many other reviews of this beauty. Just keep it on the bottom shelf if you can't figure it out. Wierd why they put it there, but oh well. I felt that the staff was friendly all the time and willing to speak with you. Our cabin man (Lloyd) was wonderful, friendly and if we needed anything he was right there to help us. The spa is like no other I have seen. It is beautiful and so nicely appointed. Cruise staff was great and the new Princess live was fun. "Dan" was SO great and funny and kept the crowd going. The band "Volume" rocked the ship outside, inside and in the Piazza. They were wonderful and worth going on the ship for. The thing about not having cross overs was annoying. The elevators and stairs at the elevators were the only way to go anywhere. Elevators were crowded but you're on vacation so you wait for the next one to come along. When you book your cabin keep that in mind. We were at ship front and no way to get out from there. Our friends were on the other side of ship and we had to walk some ways, go back up to get them then back down to elevators. You really get your exercise on this one.

Ports we got to were wonderful. Tours great, but I would personally when I go back not do a tour on Mykonos. You can just walk and enjoy the island on your own.

Food: Everything I had was very good, portioned well and when we asked for seconds on some things, never did we have a problem. The only thing was the choices were not as good as on previous ships. I sometimes went to the buffet at night to get a good choice of food, but prefer for dinner to be in dining room.

NOW FOR THE BREAKDOWN; For those of you that don't know, the Royal broke down 1/2 way thru the cruise heading to Naples and they had to cancel the rest of the cruise. We had power and everything went beautifully but they had to get this beauty repaired so we had to leave the ship 4 days (and 4 stops) sooner than we should have. Princess handled the whole thing SO WELL, and you could hear it in the Captains voice how sorry he was this happened. Princess has compensated everyone 100% of their cruise price (less air of course) plus 25% credit on the next cruise!! I think they handled this over and above when it came to customer service. The poor staff was working so hard trying to get the 4000 passenger off the ship, new air reservations, some hotels til they could fly them out, etc. They were going crazy with the arrangements and then all the people that you will never make happy (which there was a lot of them). Kudos to Princess and a big "thank you" for this cruise couple. I encourage anyone who is thinking of cruising not to let this deter them. We had power with just 6 hours interruption, plenty of food and drink, etc. This was NOT the Carnival debacle.

Publication Date: 09/26/13