“Disappointed with the Vegetarian Fare”
Cruise review of Norwegian Sun

veggieandgfcruiser Norwegian Sun 3 Disappointed with the Vegetarian Fare
veggieandgfcruiser
Member Since 2013
No Forum Posts
1 Helpful Vote
Overall Member Rating

Everything about the ship, the crew, the entertainment and activities were fantastic with the one exception, which was the food. If you are a vegetarian my recommendation is that you avoid this ship. If you count the main meals, (lunch and dinner) out of 14 meals on a 7 day cruise, the food was good only twice.

The main buffet vegetarian dining consisted of pasta, rice, Dal and one Indian curry dish every day, unless you chose the vegetables that complemented the main meat dish. Very much like hostel food. There were four pay for meal restaurants that we did not use as I checked the menu and only 3 of the four specialty restaurants had vegetarian offerings and only one offering on each of their menus which we did not feel offered value for the additional cost.

We did eat at the Four Seasons and the Seven Seas three times however, when we were finally told that there was a vegetarian menu after the third visit, it was the same poor quality Indian food that was being offered at the buffet restaurants.

Considering that food is such a big component of cruising, this was extremely disappointing especially as we had indicated several times prior to cruising that my spouse was a vegetarian.

I am not a vegetarian but I am Gluten Free. I did not have difficulty and the head chef John made sure to get me GF toast each morning and a great dessert when I asked for it. However, for the chocolate buffet there was nothing that was Gluten Free - a great disappointment. Although I took my chances with the buffet, I did not have any adverse effects by just being careful.

Norwegian Sun Cruises to Alaska
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Mid-Ship Balcony

BA9025
We loved our room. The balcony was wonderful. The service to clean the cabin and the washroom was excellent. I think they came three times a day. We loved the towel animals. We were located close to the elevator and stairs which made traveling the ship very convenient.
Published 09/26/13
1 Helpful Vote
Read Cruise Critic’s Norwegian Sun Review
Norwegian Sun Cruises to Alaska
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?