Ocean Princess Cruise Review by celie1110

Cruise Date: August 2013
Embarkation: Dover
Destination: British Isles & Western Europe
Cabin Category: BB
See More About: Ocean Princess Cruise Reviews | British Isles & Western Europe Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Ship Facts: Ocean Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Ocean Princess Deck Plans
British Isles Cruise

We sailed on the Ocean Princess August 30, 2013- September 7, 2013. I booked this cruise for the ports- Dover, Guernsey, Cornwall, Waterford,Dublin and Edinburgh with no research on the ship. After I booked I did a little research and saw the demographics of the passengers were 45-65. Ok... great...My husband and I are 49 and 50 years old. Imagine our surprise to see that we were one of the youngsters on board! Age group on this ship was more like 65-85. What little activities they had were geared to them. Knitting, Needlepoint, Masonic get togethers, nothing we were interested in. Oh, we did do trivia one day. We spent sea days in our cabin watching movies since there was nothing to entertain us.

The cruise director Frank was not to our liking, no energy like other CD we have had. The comedian Tom Brisco was very funny and we enjoyed his show.

We had booked the Ultimate Balcony Dining to celebrate our anniversary. When we booked it I asked since my husband has food allergies could we change the menu and was told yes. When the time came to change the menu what they wanted to give my husband he could not eat (mushrooms and seafood) and they wouldnt offer anything else. I cancelled it and asked for our money to be credited to our account. They would not do it. The only thing they could do is give us $100 dollars' worth of wine and beer. So for $100 we got 2 bottles the worst Pinot Grigio I have ever had and 1 can of beer. They refused to work with us. If they had credited our account we would have spent it on board anyway.

Food on this ship was the worst we have had on any ship. We ate at the buffet all meals since we did not bring clothes for the dining room and we did not want to be "those people in sweatpants and jeans". I am far from being picky and found the food inedible. Meats were overcooked and dry, mashed potatoes were like paste, Eggplant Parm was burnt and stuck to the individual dish it was served on, pasta salad was just rotini pasta in some oil and vinegar... I can go on. It is not like it was lying out for a while, we got to the buffet when it opened each night hoping the food would be fresh. We lived on Pizza and Burgers all week.

Our room was a typical balcony but what wasn't typical was the broken drawers, cabinet and the mold in the shower. ewwww. I don't understand the reviews saying it's a beautiful well-maintained ship.

I do have to say the ports were absolutely amazing and we couldn't wait each day to see what each one will be like. It's pretty sad though we dreaded going back on the ship each evening.

So to end my review,small cruise ships are not for us and I really think they need to retire this old broken down ship.

Publication Date: 09/27/13