Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by jginat: A must sail on ship

Compare Prices on Norwegian Breakaway Bermuda Cruises

A must sail on ship

Sail Date: September 2013
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

I booked this cruise about a year ago, and after reading the reviews of the Norwegian Breakaway I was somewhat worried - But after taking the cruise I definitely recommend this ship. If you love cruises, you must cruise on this ship.

I know that the number of people on the ship changes from one cruise to another. I also know that September is probably not so crowded (there were 3900 passengers on board). But the ship didn't feel crowded at all.

There was always places near the pool (well, if you are looking for a chair exactly by the pool, it might take you time to find one. But a chair close enough to the pool is always available), even if you don't wake up at 6am to catch one. There is always a place to sit in at the Garden Cafe, and there are no unbearable lines to the slides (even on sea days).

The ship is spectacular. When we arrived at Bermuda, my (10 Yeats old son) didn't want to get off the ship. There is so much to do.

The sports area, with More the ropes corse, the basketball court, the mini golf, etc., is excellent, and the slides can give you hours of fun (be sure to try them at least once after dark).

The shows were very good. I liked Burn the Floor and Cirque the most. The magician show is mostly comedy (there was more magic in the last day crew talent show), and I didn't like Rock of Ages so much.

And there was so much food. We tried four speciality restaurants (I'm not including Cirque, although it's dinner and you pat for it, but you are really there for the show): Cucina, Cagney's, Tappenyaki, and Ocean Blue.

Tappenyaki is a must, especially if you have children, because of cooking show that accompanies the dinner.

Cagney's is superb. Excellent service, and wonderful food. The same was at Ocean Blue. It is a little pricey, but worth every cent (and we had the best service possible). It can easily be compared to every chef's restaurant on land. And you get to sit at the waterfront and have the most amazing ocean view.

Our cabin was excellent. We had on oceanview. We were only two (me and my son), so the room looked huge. But it'll be a great room for a family of three or four. The bathroom was huge (with a bathtub, and not just a shower). And I do like the lower decks, since you feel so close to the water.

The only downside with the ship - and I agree with the reviews about this - is the smoke smell.

The casino is on the 7th floor, which is open to the 6th and 8th floor (due to the whole 678 concept). And you can feel the smell if smoke in many public areas of the ship - At some of the shopping areas, at the noodles bar etc. Without the smell if smoke I would rate this ship as perfect.

And do try the Ice Bar.

The spa was very good (tried the kid's pedicure and the father' sand son massage). It was the first time I didn't get a sales pitch after the treatment.

Embarkation and debarkation (although there was an half an hour line at debarkation) we're easy.

Bermuda is beautiful. I really liked the concept of docking for three days. It lets you explore the island on your time. You can buy a day pass (or three day pass) for the public transportation, and decide on your timetable.

As I said at the beginning - If you love cruises, you Must try this ship. Less

Read more Norwegian Breakaway cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Breakaway Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Breakaway 5776

Room was excellent.It was a quite room, and the location, in my opinion, is perfect (I like the lower floors, because I like the feeling of being so close to the sea).It was a very spacious room (although we were only two), with a huge bathroom (with a bathtub and not just a shower).It feels new and clean, and our room steward was impeccable.

Since the ship docks here for three days, you can buy a three days public transportation ticket (valid on buses and ferries), and decide we're to go by yourself.
Although it sounds like a cliche, be sure not to miss Horseshoe Bay and the Crystal Caves.