Golden Princess Cruise Review by Sherlocked: Cleaning carts in hall a fire hazard!

Sherlocked
Member Since 2013

Cabin Not Rated
Family & Children 1.0

Compare Prices on Golden Princess Hawaii Cruises

Cleaning carts in hall a fire hazard!

Sail Date: October 2010
Destination: Hawaii
Embarkation: Los Angeles

Food: We thought that Princess would be better than Carnival, although they are owned by the same company. We like Carnival better for the most part and Norwegian is also better than Princess. The food in the dining room was awful, just plain awful. My husband will eat anything and he even hated it. We were a party of four and we were seated at a table for two at the very back side of the restaurant despite having told the cruise line that one of our party walks with a walker! There was a step up to get to the part of the dining room we were in and she could barely manage it and there was no room for the walker. This made us feel bad. We like to drink tea, there wasn't even room on this table for two to put four small pots of tea so they had the nerve to tell us to share, keeping in mind those pots contain hot water for one person. Awful! The food in the buffet was gross; there was no omelette bar, just weird scrambled eggs floating in water and mushy toast. So food, not good at all. More One thing we liked food wise was that there were little cafes that were included in the price that you could get little cakes etc and tea and that is something we didn't see on any other ship. That was nice.

Cleanliness of public areas and rooms:The public areas of the ship were dirty when we cruised in 2010 but more recent reviews have said that has improved; I hope so. When we went the arms of the upholstered chairs were disgusting, you could have scraped dirt off of them. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the room stewards were so great.

Entertainment: Top notch on this ship, a real saving grace. The band, "Indigo" played and they are fantastic. The music director at that time was great too, he took the time to talk to my son who plays the drums and was very personable. The naturalist onboard was simply fantastic. She took the time to explain a few things to my son for his project which was due upon our arrival back home, a real personal touch.

Wheelchair safety: Be aware that if you cruise on this ship, there are cleaning carts left in the hallways twenty four seven! I have never seen this on any other ship. On every other cruise we have taken, the cleaning carts are put away when not in use; not on Princess; people in walkers or wheelchairs have to try to stand up if they can while someone pushes the folded up chair or walker by or get someone to move the over five carts per floor out of the way. It's near impossible to find someone to move the carts if one is alone in a wheelchair or walker so you will be stuck! This is a health hazard and I tried to notify Princess of this violation of safety. In a fire, people in wheelchairs or with mobility issues will not be able to get out. Since this cruise, several ship fires on Carnival have occurred yet Princess still refuses to admit that those carts are in the way. Even people who can walk have to turn sideways to get past these obstructions. In an emergency people will get hurt. I have pictures of the wheelchair and walker beside these carts to show that they don't fit with the carts taken at all hours of the day and night as proof and still Princess does nothing about this. It will not only be the disabled hurt because of these carts, there will be a pile up of panicked people trying to get out if there is an emergency because the carts impede progress up the hallways. In my country, our fire code states that a fully equipped firefighter must be able to run flat out without impediment down any hallway or corridor and that is the fire code of most nations. My question is, why is this ship line allowed to put us at risk by not having to follow our fire codes? Just because it's cheaper for them to register elsewhere, they should still have to be made safe. This ship is not safe because of those cleaning carts, period!I will NEVER cruise with Princess again because of this insult to the disabled and for their lack of safety. Less

Read more Golden Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Golden Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Golden Princess Oceanview Double with Balcony Caribe Deck

Hallways on this ship are not safe! There are cleaning carts parked all day and night and never removed, even when not in use. Please note, wheelchairs and walkers can't get by these carts and there are at least five in each hall so it's like a gauntlet trying to get anywhere. Even people walking have to turn sideways to pass these obstructions which are a fire hazard that is illegal in any nation I know if. In Canada, a firefighter must be able to navigate a corridor in full gear without impediment of any kind; on this ship, that would be impossible! And please note that I have photo evidence of our friend's wheelchair and walker with this cart to prove that they cannot pass in the halls. If a person is unable to stand briefly and fold up the chair or walker, they cannot get past. A person alone in a wheelchair who can't stand will not get out of their hallway. This is a fire hazard and Princess ignores it despite all the problems their owner's Carnival corporation has had recently. It's a disaster waiting to happen on this ship. I have never seen a ship with cleaning carts in the halls all day and night and never put away when not in use and I have been on six cruises so I know what I'm talking about. I don't know how Princess gets away with breaking fire codes that apply in most nations. Is it because they don't care because they're registered elsewhere? Those carts are a disaster waiting to happen and despite repeated requests to move them when not in use, nothing was ever done. Seriously, this is a disaster waiting to happen.

Hawaii Volcanoes National Park

(5.5)

At this port, you can easily book a rental car and drive to Volcanoes National Park yourself, it's really close to the cruise port. It's only ten bucks (2010)for a car load of people to get in and the car was a hundred and ten bucks so still cheaper than booking with the cruise line and you get to do what you want when you want. This was my favourite port in Hawaii.

Diamond Head Crater

(5.5)

Great tour guide! Quite a walk in the heat but not too bad. Great views. You can see Pearl Harbour from here but not well.

Tubing

(5.5)

Tubing the ditch was a blast. The tour guides were fantastic. The swim at the end was a bit too short but that's the cruise line's fault for such a short shore excursion time. The staff were so good to my mother in law who was nervous on the tube and has mild mobility issues at the time.

Helicopter tour was great.

Read 265 Maui Reviews