Carnival Magic Cruise Review by KITKAT0229

Cruise Date: September 2013
Embarkation: Galveston
Cabin Category: 8E

Not Exactly Magical

We planned this cruise for our 9 year anniversary. It had been 2 & half years since we cruised on Carnival. This was a different cruise experience for us. There didn't seem to be as many shows or activities (more trivia type activities) than in years past. Our main objectives were to have fun, relax and get away from the stresses of life. I actually worked out in the gym this cruise. I didn't particularly like the touch screens on the machines however as they weren't very responsive. I purchased the SPA package for the week to use the special hot tub, saunas & steam rooms. I really enjoyed the room with the heated tile loungers. I seriously need one of those at home.

Continuing with activities I never got to try out the sky course. It was never open or at least I never caught it when it was open. Also in real life it is much smaller than I had imagined. The water slides were fun though. The only show we caught in the main theater was the Love & Marriage show which was funny as always. We managed to catch 2 of the adult comedy shows towards the end of the week in the aft lounge. As always the space they hold the comedy shows in is too small. I don't recall seeing a bar in the theater like I've seen on other ships so my guess is that they don't have the comedy shows in there for that reason. Just June was pretty funny but we never caught any of the other comedians.

Moving on to the food. The good: pizza, burgers, burrito bar & CCucino del Capitano for lunch. We loved the create your own pasta at Cucino del Capitano however we were disappointed with our food there at dinner. The singing was very cheesy and not very good and could be left out all together. But the food was not worth paying extra for especially since it was better at lunch. The pizza was awesome! It would have been nice to have more topping choices but it was excellent nonetheless. The bad: buffet, deserts & main dining room. There were some good items on the buffet but the choices were limited. Breakfast had a good selection but not so much at lunch or dinner (there are plenty of other options for lunch though). We didn't really find any deserts we particularly cared for besides fruit. They were all just a bit lack luster. The main dining room was the main disappointment though. There were sooooooo many empty tables and we quickly found out why. We only went a couple of times and only 2 other people showed up to our 10 person table. The lobster was good but the steak we had wasn't edible. The waiters didn't seem very interested in giving the same level of service we've had before and it just wasn't the same experience.

Next lets talk about our cabin. It was just a standard balcony cabin on deck 9 just aft of the forward elevators both under and above other cabins. We had no noise issues from our neighbors or from the atrium. We had a pretty decent view but I don't think I'd want to be in balcony cabin on decks 6-8 though as the view would be more limited because of the lanai. What's the point of the lanai anyway? No one was hardly ever out there and it just blocks everyone's view from above it. Our main issue with our room however was the temperature. We complained 3 times. Each time they agreed it was too warm but they never sent anyone to fix it. They brought us a fan which helped but it didn't help with the humidity in the room. One day in port we came back to our room after lunch and it smelled of paint fumes. We went down to GS and brought it to their attention. They gave us a temporary cove until the fumes were gone plus 4 drink coupons. It was a very nice gesture and I was happy to check out a cove. We thought about switching but it really didn't seem much cooler in that room either. I'm guessing this is another area they are cutting back. On all our previous cruises we would practically freeze sometimes it would get so cold. This is a problem when cruising in the hot & humid Caribbean.

We had been to all the ports before. We tried the beach in Roatan by the port and it was disappointing. We wished we would have just gone back to Tabyana beach. We were very excited for our snorkeling excursion in Belize but it was cancelled due to rain. It would have been nice to get more advance notice of cancellation instead of being told right after we had already been seated in the theater and were waiting for our tender. The weather of course cleared up a couple hours later but they didn't try to reschedule anything. So once again we didn't get off the ship in Belize. We've been to Cozumel so many times we just went shopping and enjoyed the ship. I looked at their excursions but they have really gone up in prices on the ones we've done before.

We had a good cruise because we were together and not at work. We were however disappointed with our overall experience. It just wasn't the same as it had been in the past. We picked this cruise because of price, convenience to port & past experiences but in the future we will spend the extra money to go on a different cruise line.

Publication Date: 09/26/13