Carnival Glory Cruise Review by Jenna Rossity: The Glory could be more glorious

Jenna Rossity
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Canada & New England Cruises

The Glory could be more glorious

Sail Date: September 2013
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

I just returned from a 7 day New England/Canada cruise departing Manhattan. I can never become bored with that departure from New York, it's just jaw dropping. We sailed from Sept. 14th to Sept. 21. The weather was incredible, clear blue skies, calm seas and warm temperatures.

The food in the dining room was generally very good. Our 3 waiters worked together with military precision for dinner service and cleanup and then jumped into the line with the other waiters to 'perform' for us. The chilled black cherry soup my husband had was surprisingly delightful. The buffets were actually quite wonderful. There was something on their menus that could please anyone.

The casino is where this ship fails. The machines are too close together, there is too much smoke, it's just everywhere, the slot machines are antiques and there's only electronic poker, no live dealer. And, there's only one electronic poker table so after dinner when a bunch of players wanted a game, they had More to wait and wait until a seat opened up which could be hours.

The serenity deck is located at the very front of the Glory rather than aft like the Miracle. I never went there because it was just too far for me to walk. It was difficult getting to our upper level dining room from our aft cabin. We had to go down, up and sideways to get to the right level and frequently had to cut through a dining room to get to the other elevator. Not a good design at all.

The Ports: Boston, we didn't disembark in Boston because we'd all been there before and the weather was cloudy and drizzling. Portland, we enjoyed this port and paid the $5 to get the 'hop-on hop-off' bus that circles the interior of the city. St. John, we got off but hadn't booked an excursion and it was chaos inside the pier buildings with people from 3 ships that had docked. We went back on the ship and spent a quiet day aboard. Halifax was our favorite port. We booked the Halifax-Peggy's Cove bus excursion and it was informative and fun.

Arrival back in NY harbor was nearly as stunning as when we departed since we arrived before sunrise and the city was lit up like a million jewels.

It was a very memorable cruise that we all enjoyed. Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Glory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Glory Balcony Panorama

I packed quite a lot of clothing since I didn't know whether to expect chilly or warm weather and found that there was more than enough storage space for all our things. My husband uses a CPAP machine for sleep apnea and there was nowhere to plug in the machine by the bed. Luckily I brought my own extra long extension cord and was able to plug it into the only existing outlet visible which was above the tabletop bureau. I would prefer a shorter/smaller sitting couch in the room in order to facilitate a few more inches of room for the small bedside tables. The one in front of our window was so close to the window that the curtains kept getting caught on the table and lamp.The serenity deck would be better if it were located aft. It's just too far away from mid and aft ship for most seniors to comfortably walk to.