Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by 1stluvcrusr

Norwegian Gem
Norwegian Gem
Member Name: 1stluvcrusr
Cruise Date: September 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: SE
See More About: Norwegian Gem Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Ship Facts: Norwegian Gem Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Gem Deck Plans
1st Time for Everything

1st let me start by saying what an awesome staff there is on the NCL Gem. I've been on quite a few cruises and I NeVer remember anyone's name. Well Jenny, Kyle, Krazy Kristine, Tom, Carlos and Zahid. they have made this a special anniversary cruise and we hope they are still on board when we bring the rest of the family.

Saturday NYC Embarkation:

We get to the pier at 1105am, (a little later than we expected) however everything ran smoothly. We put our luggage through the machines, went over to VIP check in where you can see the ship through the glass behind the agents. We went to the VIP room where we me our concierge for the week and waited for maybe all of 10 minutes before we were escorted to the Star Bar to drop off our carry ons before we were escorted for lunch at Cagneys. OMG we were spoiled from the moment we got on.

The room: was a really nice size we were at the bow of the ship just under the bridge my husband likes to be in the aft but this was great I loved the views and you can see everything ahead before you get to it. We did go outside at night we just made sure the curtains were closed or the lights were off. The room could have been a little tidier we found a child's pink sock under the bed. All other maintenance issues were handled after we met some of the officers at the meet and greet. We had in suite dining one night and ordered from the main dining room. The service was excellent. Everyone must do it at least once.

Speaking of meet and greet: We met some cool people at our meet and greet passengers that I hope to meet on board again. The slot pull followed and we actually one as a group a few $ more than we played. We did not have a cabin crawl but we got to see a DOS and a Cat SF Suite and a few ppl came to view ours so I guess it was an informal cabin crawl.

We did not get off in port canaveral because the excursions we would've liked to go on, we felt bad not bringing the kids along. We just enjoyed the 50% less crowded ship and took the opportunity to enjoy the Gem's pool and hot tub.

Great stirrup cay: When we arrived the weather was beautiful and so was the beach I'm not really a swimmer but I couldn't stay out of the water. The weather took a turn for the worse when we went on the waverunner excursion.. Which is no fault of NCL but nonetheless we are glad everyone got back safely. I loved the Island and I can't way to go back to GSC.

Nassau: We got a great deal on the Atlantis Aquaventure excursion and had a great time. Everyone must try it for the day at least once. Definitely worth the money.

Restaurant: We ate at the Gp dining room once. Order dinner to our room once and ate at four of the specialty restaurants, la Cucina, le Bistro, Moderno and Cagneys all were great. We had blue lagoon wings fish and chips burger and desert more than I can count. We made it to the BBQ the last 2 sea days and I lived the paella. Cagneys brownie and ice cream was my husbands favorite after lunch treat! The chocoholic buffet was on the small side. They had the same things all over and they had a sign for a red velvet cake but no1 knew where it was.

This ship had zumba but it was more like 20 minute zumba and it was 2x I went to the 1st one but didn't bother to go the 2nd time because I didn't feel like it was worth it. I would gladly pay $5-15 per class if it was 1 hour.

Entertainment: We went to most of the shows at the stardust theatre with the exception of the magic comedy show. The perfect couple show was pretty funny, however the not so newlywed, not so much. Questions need to be changed up a bit, they seem to be the same on all cruises. The battle of the sexes was fun and the different trivias and charades was fun too such a cozy atmosphere.

I missed the martini tasting this cruise they had it twice I was just MIA.

The internet worked better on this cruise than hue epic so I was able to get in touch with my kids daily. When I had problems the internet concierge girl was such a sweetheart (4got her name)

Overall it was an unforgettable cruise and we can't wait for our next NCL Gem cruise vacation with the family!

Publication Date: 09/25/13