Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by hollyheather: Breakaway--Too Big

Compare Prices on Norwegian Breakaway Bermuda Cruises

Breakaway--Too Big

Sail Date: September 2013
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

The Breakaway is pretty and it is large. The employees are very polite. The ship was crowded and very noisy. They do not have separate smoking rooms/balconies, so that if you are a non-smoker, but the people next to you, above or below you on a balcony, may smoke and you get to inhale second hand smoke. We complained to guest services and were told that the ship cannot make accommodations with regards to individual rooms w/balconies, for smokers and non-smokers. We were bothered by others smoking while we were out on our balcony. There was not enough outdoor seating for the "white night" dance. When an elderly lady requested more seating, she was told by one of the employees (wearing a bright colored wig and using a microphone), that you are suppose to get up and dance or stand around, not sit out on the deck and listen to the music. This dance started at 10:45 PM. Who is able to dance constantly or stand around at that time of night? The food was OK at the complimentary restaurants, More but not great. You often had to wait for a table at the complimentary restaurants. There were large lines at the buffet on the night that they featured lobster. Why didn't they offer lobster at one of their complimentary restaurants, rather than making people stand in long lines for lobster? It appears that NCL wants passengers to use the specialty restaurants, in addition to the complimentary dining areas.

The second hand smoke was a problem for me, when walking anywhere near the gambling, as smoking is allowed in the casino. The beautiful atrium area was always crowded and very noisy due to the very large television screen they utilize to entertain people.

We enjoyed the Rock of Ages show, as well as the dueling pianos, at the Howl at the Moon performances in the Headliners lounge.

This was my second cruise on NCL. The first was in February 2013, where we enjoyed our cruise. It was a different atmosphere than the "party type" cruise on the Breakaway. I think this cruise may be OK for the under 45 year old people, but I sure felt closed in and very disappointed that they didn't provide enough quiet areas inside or outside on the decks. I spoke with many others who felt the same way as I, about the atmosphere on this ship. I heard several people say they would not cruise with NCL again.

I was very disappointed in this cruise and probably will never go on another, due to this experience. Less

Read more Norwegian Breakaway cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Breakaway Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Breakaway 13764

The room was quite nice. The balcony was too small for a room that is supposed to accommodate 4 persons. The steward kept the room very clean and he was attentive to us. The bad thing about the balcony, as I mentioned above, is that if anyone is smoking out on their balcony, which happens to be anywhere close to your balcony, you can smell it and ruin your balcony experience.

It was OK upon arrival, but after we returned to NYC, it was a nightmare. Long lines to get off the ship, go through customs and get to your car, were the norm. I would never use this port again.