American Spirit Cruise Review by Depressed

Member Name: Depressed
Cruise Date: August 2013
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: U.S.A.
See More About: American Spirit Cruise Reviews | U.S.A. Cruise Reviews | American Cruise Lines Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: American Spirit Review (by Cruise Critic!) | American Spirit Deck Plans
Our most disfunctional & disappointing Cruise

A really shocking experience-Cab driver never heard or knew about a cruise line docking at Shilshole Bay - dock is a third class wharf surrounded by warehouses-we found the ship with great difficulty. I almost cried when I saw our cabin - shabby,worn,outdated furniture- Motel 6 looks better! TV did not work most of the time, Wi-Fi neither because of lack of equipment-if 10 people were on line you could not get on!Same with the 2 computers.

No Room Service, No TELEPHONES-if something was to happen to you nobody would know until the cleaning crew found you the next morning at?? Balcony door could not open fully-got stuck on the railing.To get enough coathangers took 3 days. Untill we were out at sea there was brown water floating in the toilets, which was normal the Captain told us??!

The "All American Crew" turned out to be young, inexperienced kids working hours on end for peanuts,handeling food orders just before or just after cleaning publick restrooms because they had to clean our rooms too,woh!After three months they had to leave only to be replaced with the same untrained, inexperienced youngsters? I got hot tea water straight down my neck let alone all the wrong orders and the time it took to get our food. After paying for our trip we had to complete a list of "special diet requirements" which we did as I have several food allergies-Head Office told me it would go to the Hotel Manager on board. At my first meal I found out that nobody knew about it-the menue was never ready in time to make plans in advance nor was it first class. Three times a day trying to find something I could eat was nerve-racking-my nose is twitching and my ears are growing because of all the salads I had to eat! The last two days we ran out of lemons and large tomatoes while on dock? Hallo!Ever heard of shopping?

The agent told me "There will be always food available" not true-if you missed the three main meals you had to live on packeged salty pretzels,chips-asking for a muffin in the afternoon was a No No!

The docking places were like "flying under the radar" no other ship would dock there, awful sometimes,even had a sleeping homeless person on the dock next to the ship one morning! The next day rodents,ugly cement and wooden boxes when looking out of the window.

Excursions were disorganised, busses were not large enough.One busdriver said he could get a larger bus but it takes 5 minutes to go there and 10 minutes to start it?? The bus to Olympic Park had no A/C nor oberhead light that worked and several seats collapsed back never to be errected. Did the shipping line care if these vehicles are inspected and safe for us? Staff was also new and had no alternatives nor clue regarding the excursions other than what the brochures said.

The gangway was extremly shaky and small - people in wheel chairs had to be lifted up and taken down by crew members carrying them in their arms, dangerous! Amost all guests were Seniors and health problems were obvious,like canes and wheel chars, etc.- there was only one elevator in the middle of the ship which was rather old and difficult to handle-we were glad that there was no emergency!!Is this ship really up to US Coast Guards standards??They must have had blinkers on when inspecting it last?

This cruise line should only advertise in the AARP Magazine and not with fancy catalogues and websites. We had fallen into the trap of paying a lot of money for a disappointing overpriced cruise - nothing was first class and we feel angry and cheated. I had to wait to calm down before writing this.

How can you call this a eight day cruise? We did not leave Seattle untill 13:30 PM on the 31 August - on September 7 we arrived at 2:30 PM in Seattle where we sat till the next morning to be picked up at 8:30 AM?

The Captain told me that the American Spirit had to go into dry dock. I guess they changed their mind-when we left things were ready for the next victims.

Publication Date: 09/26/13