Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by barbjd106

Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Member Name: barbjd106
Cruise Date: September 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Canada & New England
Cabin Category: A1
See More About: Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Reviews | Canada & New England Cruise Reviews | Cunard Cruise Deals

LuxuryOnly.com

A Disappointment

My husband and I took this cruise to get away.

Prior to the voyage, we purchased two wine packages and a dinner at Todd English Restaurant. I wanted to surprise my husband with the dinner and the card that was presented in the cabin with my sentiments had his name spelled wrong. This was just the beginning....

The wine steward believed he presented us with a coupon book that we could use to redeem for a bottle of wine. I do think this is a tacky procedure in the age of computers. We did not recall receiving the coupon book. When we went to Todd English it took 40 minutes for the respective sommeliers to sort it out and present us with a glass of wine. In addition, the maitre'd had never (or said he had never) seen a coupon presented for a dinner at that restaurant. What was supposed to be a treat was stressful and unpleasant.

The balcony room was tired looking. The phone was on a very short cord at the desk which was inconvenient. The robes appeared frayed and should be replaced. The balcony furniture is also tired looking.

We ate in the Britannia Restaurant. The food was not good. The service was fine but the waiters appeared stressed and perhaps overworked.

Oh, there was a norovirus alert which, in reaction to, the cruise line reduced some services. The services reduced seemed to be the nonrevenue producing ones, such as nuts and canapes in the lounges before dinner. The casino was kept open and the bars still served drinks. While the alert was in effect, some things changed from night to night. For example, some nights the milk was left on the table at dinner for coffee and some nights it was not. Same with the salt and pepper shakers. The definition of a red alert seemed fluid.

I found this ship to be like Carnival but with a British accent.

The people we met on the ship were lovely.

We had booked two shore excursions, both bicycle riding. The one on Bar Harbor was cancelled due to foggy conditions and tender safety issues. The one in Quebec went on. We bicycled to the (sp?) Montmercy Falls about 7 - 8 miles outside of Quebec and back. The falls are lovely and beautiful to see up close. The ride was awful - it was along a major highway all the way plus in the center of Quebec. The atmosphere included waste management plants and tawdry motels. I was so happy to see Quebec on the way back. When we reached the bicycle shop there was no bus to take us back to the ship. We walked to the Explorer of the Seas and a bus from there finally returned us to the QM2 just before she was set to leave.

I feel there is nothing to recommend this ship.

Publication Date: 09/23/13