Carnival Magic Cruise Review by KnotNauti

Cruise Date: September 2013
Embarkation: Galveston
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: 4S
See More About: Carnival Magic Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+

Magic - Pretty Much

This is my first review so I may not be as well spoken as many but here we go anyway.

We left the DFW area at 6:30 and were on board unpacking at 1:00 even with a 45 minute delay for a freeway closure south of Houston. The room stewards were excellent and I still think they were hiding under the bed waiting for us to leave. We did use the Cruising/Snoozing placards to help them determine when to clean the room. If you leave for breakfast and need to go back afterwards for a pit stop and don't put the snoozing sign up, they will most likely be cleaning when you come back...

The food was typical of most cruise line foods. The difference is in the presentation and in the main dining rooms they have it down. All of our wait staff were extremely professional and well versed in their crafts. The food was OK as long as they had salt on the table. You have to keep in mind that they are cooking for thousands and my definition of bland may be spicy for someone else. If you make it known on the first night that you would like some hot sauce, brown sugar, etc with your meals, the head waiter will most likely have it available for you each night after. The buffet is just that, a buffet. If you want some better quality food and don't want to eat in the formal dining rooms(not sure why since you can wear shorts except for elegant nights), head to the back of the ship for the sandwich bar and indian food bar. These were great the first couple of days until everyone else found them and the lines got long. Several days they had a Mongolian food bowl bar that was good as well.

Now, lets get to the main reason I am writing a review. The STEAK HOUSE.... I was excited to eat here and planned on it being a highlight of my cruise. I LOVE a good steak. The first part is nit picking I know but read all to see why I include it. Keep in mind they tout this as a 5 Star Restaurant..

1. When the waiter set my bread, he served from the right and put it on my charger instead of the bread plate.

2. While still enjoying my salad, the waiter asked if I was done. When I responded no, he asked me to move it over so he could set my main course. "You serve at the pace of the customer, not the chef"

3. The steak was horrible. I ordered the rubbed bone in ribeye cooked medium rare. It was cooked as ordered but it was tough. I mean tough. Took 5 to 6 cuts with a sharp knife to take off a piece. I only ate 1/2 of it.

4. We asked for coffee afterwards. They brought the cups but took 20 minutes to get coffee in them. When the did it was luke warm...

5. The entire time, the wait staff looked as if they were in a rush. They told us to expect 2 hours for the dining experience and they basically pushed us out after 1.5.

Getting off the ship was easy as well. Don't put yourself through self carry off. We were in the third group and were in our car at 9:30 heading home.

All in all a great cruise. We did zero excursions and spent less than 5 hours off the boat.

Publication Date: 09/23/13