Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by jsr0711: Unfortunate trend reversed

Unfortunate trend reversed

Sail Date: September 2013
Destination: USA
Embarkation: Southampton

I wrote a review a while back titled "Declining standards in a single year," complaining that the food in the Britannia was not what it had been. This was our third crossing in 2013, and I'm happy to say that the food is back to what we expected -- i.e., very good, indeed remarkable under the circumstances. The service is now, if anything, even better. And my fears about the simplified dress code have not been realized: On the "elegant casual" nights (at least at the late sitting) many men wore ties and many who went tie-less wore suits. Of course the women were for the most part extremely well turned out. And the great majority on "formal" nights were actually in formal dress.

My principal complaint now is just that Cunard seems to be constantly trying to sell you stuff. About half of the cable channels are devoted to peddling various products and services, and one is constantly fending off pushy photographers. In my earlier post I said something about the HSN/QVC vibe, but More threading the maze of photographers to get to dinner feels more like traversing a souk. Less

Read more Queen Mary 2 (QM2) cruise reviews >>