Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by clcjdn

Cabin Category: 8E
Dining 5+
Rates 5+

5 Day Impromtu Cruise to Progresso and Cozumel

First attempt at a formal review here, so please be nice! :)

We flew into IAH from CO on the morning of our cruise. We were able to move through the embarkation process quickly due to my injured ankle. We were on board in 25 minutes from when we arrived at the pier.

Day 1 (Galveston):

First thing we did was get some food from Guy's and the Blue Iguana. I was really looking forward to that! We then acquainted ourselves with the ship. Very similar to the Liberty, which we took in November 2012. We also signed up for internet access, which is really easy with Iphones/Ipads/Ipods. Highly recommend the WIFI, as it seemed faster than going to the internet cafe and using their equipment. We made sure to put the phone into airplane mode and only use WIFI to avoid expensive roaming charges. The rest of day 1 included the Muster drill (due to ankle injury we were told to go to the Library, great choice), hitting the casino to pick up our drinks on us cards and gambling a bit, and going to dinner. At dinner, we received a bottle of Dom Perignon 2003 from the casino for our anniversary. We met another married couple assigned to our table, and hit it off quite well. I went with the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake with Peanut Butter and Vanilla Ice Cream. The first time I ordered it, they brought me a plate with a peanut butter sandwich and chips from room service. After they saw me use the PB only, on subsequent nights, they just brought the PB.

Day 2 (Sea Day 1):

The boat seemed to be pretty rocky about 5 AM. I think we were out running a storm, but minor inconvenience. We started our day with Room Service breakfast, simple and easy. We plan most of our days around the trivia contests, so we had a pretty busy day. We had a pretty good day winning 2 100% Gold Plastic Ships on a Stick. Gambled again on and off throughout the day, but no real wins to mention. The comedy shows were great! We met a new couple from KS, and our table mates came to the show with us.

Day 3 (Progresso):

My ankle finally started feeling better. We weren't sure what to think of the stop prior to the trip, so we didn't plan anything specific. We got off the ship, rode the shuttle to town, walked around for 45 minutes, bought a few gifts, and then went back to the ship. We were not impressed with this stop. We did pick up another ship on a stick after my wife got 53 of 60 on the Big Screen Trivia. At dinner on night 3 we met the 3rd couple at our table for dinner. They seemed to assimilate well into our table group. We had a lot of fun each night at dinner, even though we were placed on the upper deck and to the side of the room. I finally hit my 1,000 points in the casino on day 3. The gambling was horrible (even by cruise ship standards).

Day 4 (Cozumel):

We had booked an all inclusive day at Mr. Sancho's after reading the reviews here on CC. This was a great call! The resort was great. We spent time on the beach, time in the pool, time at the pool bar, and time in the main restaurant. The WIFI there was good enough that we Face Timed with our kids back home. Great experience, I would recommend them to anyone going to Cozumel. Picked up a few more gifts, headed back to the ship. Missing couple #2, we assumed they had too much fun in Cozumel but hoped they didn't miss the boat. Went to the A Kiss Goodnight show. It was good, but I think PG-13 more that R. Gambling finally started to pick up. Made about 1,000 points on this day alone.

Day 5 (Sea Day #2):

We went to the brunch to use our free drink coupon. Met some interesting folks at the table. Focused on trivia again. We picked up 2 more ships, bringing our haul to 5 for a 5 day cruise. We met some nice folks while playing trivia, and even picked up a couple of ladies to join our super trivia team. Dinner was a blast! Comedy was again great! Gambling was again better as I got another 1,000 points, but I didn't have any winning sessions on the ship.

Day 6 (Galveston):

Debarkation day. They need to work on their process for debarking. This seemed to take forever, but at least my ankle was better.

Summary:

No complaints about this trip even though 90% of the people were from Texas..... just kidding my friends! Seriously, other than the poor gambling results, the only thing that was slow was the wait service in the casino even though I was tipping with each drink it seemed like it took longer and longer as the cruise went on. Maybe it was the lack of winning that made it seem longer, but this is my only real complaint. The CD Jenn was just OK, she just didn't seem as friendly or open as other CDs we've experienced. However, the production shows were pretty darn good!

Publication Date: 09/23/13