Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by smitty9999

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by smitty9999
Norwegian Breakaway
Norwegian Breakaway
Member Name: smitty9999
Cruise Date: August 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: Fam
        13-15 1.0
        16+ 1.0

Size isn't everything

There were too many people on board. Norwegian built the ship up and did not allow for the number of people cruising. The interior space was pushed out to the deficit of the outside space. Difficulty in finding seats around the pool (too few for too many people). Pool was ridiculously small for 4000+ people.

Food in the buffet area was generally cold, stew/saucy, or fried. I understand trying to cook for so many is difficult though my expectations is that NCL has been doing this for a while and should have performed better. I felt as if I was eating in my high school cafeteria. Seemed to be significant repitition in the variety of foods. Also, this was the first cruise (I have been on 3 with my family) where the number of specialty (meaning extra cost) eating areas exceeded the free restaurants. I don't consider O'Sheerans a restaurant since the menu was extremely limited.

It seemed that the only place one could sit on the boat was within site of a bar or a place where something could be purchased. There were limited options to just sit and take in the sights - and the one area we found out about was an adult only area so my kids coldn't go. No seats by the shuffleboard areas, no lounge chairs outside of the specialty areas where there was free deck space. If you wanted to sit, you were sitting close to everyone else - unless you went to your cabin which my wife did on several occasions to escape theh noise. Music does not need to be pushed at maximum volume all the time.

If we had not gone with some very good friends of ours, I would have rated this cruise a failure. Being with our friends made it worthwhile - not the boat.

Publication Date: 09/23/13