Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review by padrek: Back to Enchantment for two short trips

padrek
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Enchantment of the Seas Bahamas Cruises

Back to Enchantment for two short trips

Sail Date: September 2013
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

She is the largest and "newest" ship on the run, even though she is 17 yrs. old. Enchantment was "lengthened" about 7 yrs. ago and recently had RCI's "Enhancement" upgrades that RCI is giving to all of its ships. I have probably sailed on Enchantment 20 times thru the years.

Most pax arrive at MCO and take the RCI transfer bus for the 50 min transfer to Pt Canaveral. Embarcation was easy - every line has that down pat today. Unfortunately my dining preferences were not alloted; however since I had "paperwork" with me I eventually got what I wished - early seating, eat alone. I have had so many cruises, with a fair percentage of "bad" tables, that now I wish to be alone and eat quietly by myself as I read. As it was September the kids were back in school, and many pax, like myself, were "oldsters" taking advantage of reduced fall fares. Many of us were "frequent RCI cruisers" and thus the Concierge Lounge was crowded with an overflow lounge utilized.

Entertainment on More Enchantment is "the usual" - two Production Shows, a way past rime magician and comedian, lots of live music etc. As I have seen it all before I go early to bed and rise early (as many seniors) and so can't comment on "nightlife".

Food and "money grubbing" contiue to be RCI's weakest points. The food is much poorer than any other line including its fellow price point associates, Carnival and NCL. That plus constant "shilling" to spend money lessens the experience.

After the usual visits to their "Private Island" Coco Cay, and a 16 hr visit to Nassau - ugh - we had a sea day and then back to Pt Canaverval to finish our 4 day trip. I stayed aboard, along with some 25 others, for the following 3 day weekend trip - same itinerary without the sea day. RCI forces you, probably as a result of US CBP rules, to go ashore as a group after other pax have departed, walk thru Customs/Immigration, and then return to the ship. O well!

Many "back to back" cruisers objected to being forced to go to the Safety Drill again after having gone thru it 4 days earlier. RCI insists saying that "it is the rule"; however other lines do not force all pax aboard to go thru it a second time when they take on pax at intervening points. However....

Ship - getting old, but kept clean and in good shape with some problem areas probably due to both age and the hard use it is getting on these short "party" runs. Ship full, as always. RCI will discount to whatever is needed to "fill" their ships hoping for On Board Spending to make up the difference. Prices went as low as $109 pp on the 4 day trip to the upset of many who had paid much higher fares. RCI used to rebate when fares went down even at last minute, but not any more. No adjustments after final payment - 70 days out I think - and discounting begins in the last couple of weeks to "fill" the spaces. O well....

Disembarcation on the Monday after the weekend trip "fast and furious" - it is easy, especially as most carry their own bags on such a short trip.First guests off at 0715, last at 0900

All in all - the usual RCI product and experience. Less