Carnival Magic Cruise Review by cruiserunner56

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Magic Cruise Review by cruiserunner56
Carnival Magic
Carnival Magic
Member Name: cruiserunner56
Cruise Date: September 2013
Embarkation: Galveston
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: 8D
See More About: Carnival Magic Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+

Average cruise line

I don't know if it's because there are so many people on the cruise ship that the cooks cannot keep up with quality and demand. So sad because of the wasted food that goes uneaten, especially in the buffet and BBQ areas. They call it a barbecue but it's actually grilling hot dogs and burgers. The hot dogs really look bad. Meat on dogs looks awful, could not bite into one. We ate several times in the Northern Lights dining room, breakfast was ok, some days are considered brunch, but nothing exceptional, very bland food. Dinner mediocre, had fish one night, it was dry. Had beef and chicken on other nights dry and bland, no flavor whatsoever. Forget about the vegetables or potatoes, really bad, no flavor and cold.

Now I will tell you where you should eat and it is great. The Red Frog Pub. Fried Shrimp served with plantains, burger sliders with chips, fantastic! If you are a big eater order both. They are supposed to be appetizers, but they are filling and very tasty. Waiters in the Pub are great. Actually went there for the food and a couple of cold beers several times. Those were our good dinners.

Now about the rest. The stateroom we had was a Balcony on the 8th deck. We were in the center of the ship so we had a very nice cabin with very little noise. The steward to our room is named Mohammed and he was very nice, cordial and friendly. Got us anything we needed with expediency. We asked him for ice several times, clean robes as the ones that were in the room had stains on them. The pillows are great. I take my own pillow protectors when I travel and they are made out of a very light vinyl but it keeps your head off the actual pillow.

Entertainment was bad, they also had karaoke and it was actually fun to watch because people actually think they can sing like Beyone, Pit Bull, Frank Sinatra, but actually there was one guy that really sang well.

We did not do any excursions because we've been on most. In Key West we took the get on and off trolly and went to Sloppy Joes and to the Hard Rock Cafe. In Freeport we took a van right outside the ship on our own and went to the beach. Disappointment. Apparently, the beaches there are overrun by people trying to sell you all kinds of things. In Nassau we went on our own by boat (with many other travelers) to Atlantis. We went to the casino (no free drinks at the bar), but I understand there are free drinks while playing in the casino. Inside the casino, my husband paid to go to the beach and when he returned he said that it was a fantastic beach and the best money he had spent so far. On our way back to the boat we walked past a place that sells Daiquiris and we ordered two at $11.00 each, they were pineapple based and they were the best.

The casino on the ship was cramped, too many people and some evenings you could not find a machine. They made alot of money on the guests on this trip. I personally saw people playing with alot of money. I myself lost quiet a bit of money, but I consider it entertainment or a donation to the CEOs of Carnival. (: Overall, if you see this as transpiration and accommodations, you can make the best of it.

By the way, the Pizza is very good, lines appear long but move fast. Ship was very clean, stateroom clean. Booked my cruise directly through cruise line with a guy who knows his way around the cruise ships, If I do a Carnival cruise, I call him direct, his name is Justin Rickert and he is very knowledgeable and will do anything he can to make sure your cruise is planned well.

Publication Date: 09/20/13