Thomson Majesty Cruise Review by Tony1878: Adriatic Explorer Sept 2013

Adriatic Explorer Sept 2013

Sail Date: September 2013
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

Just back from our cruise on The Majesty Adriatic Explorer itinerary and decided to put together a short review.

Have to mark the cruise overall an 8.5 out of 10, I'll explain why it wasn't a 10 as we go on.

* Flight from Manchester was good, although a bit more legroom wouldn't go amiss, thankfully it's only just over 3 hours to Corfu.

Baggage was delivered without too much fuss and it was off to the ship.

We were on a late flight and only arrived at the ship about an hour before sailing.

We had requested and paid for a Mid ship deck 3/4, so you can imagine my face dropping when we were being shown to our cabin and we headed off to the rear of the ship.......and kept going until you couldn't go any further, to the very last cabin no less, as we opened the cabin door we found Flowers, chocolate strawberries and a bottle of bubbly, unfortunately not addressed to either my lovely wife or myself so I quickly said to the steward that there must More be a mistake............no mistake on the cabin, but they took away the goodies :(

Not a brilliant start by any standards, but we had a lifeboat drill to attend, by this time, the ship had sailed and we were already missing the party.

We went straight to reception and explained that we had paid an upgrade to mid ship 3/4 and we were in danger of falling off the end where they had put us, they were very good and said that we may be able to move but would only know the following day, we accepted this and went off to party at the sailaway, as you can imagine, not a good night for us as the edge had been taken off due to feeling let down.

I'm happy to say that we were moved the following day to deck 7 right in the middle of the ship and I have to say the staff were excellent in the way they handled everything, they sent stewards to move our clothes (my wife had refused to unpack), I booked the cruise through Thomas Cook originally and they had not passed on my request for choice of cabin to Thomson.

We spent 1 night in cabin 7997 at the rear of the ship and I slept ok although the vibration and noise is not something I would have wanted all week.

Day 2 was the start of my cruise and we both relaxed and started to enjoy the Majesty.

We had a standard cabin and I would recommend if you can afford it to upgrade to a plus as the standard was a tight squeeze if you are both standing up :)

You do get used to it after a while and find your own way of sorting it out, you are only there to sleep and get changed anyway.

As people have already said, Majesty is not the newest or most glamorous ship out there, but she can still turn heads, it's very easy to find your way around the ship and the crew are lovely.

The only complaints I would have with regards to the ship have been mentioned previously, the buffet on deck 10 needs sorting, the food isn't hot to begin with and by the time you get everything on your plate and find somewhere to sit, it's freezing, also needs one of the stewards telling people which way to queue, bit shambolic at times.

Second moan is about the 7 seas restaurant, we requested a table for 2 when we turned up for dinner, we were told that no tables were available and we would have to wait, no problem with that, I understand that they were busy, after about 20 mins I overheard the Matre D telling a couple to just walk in tomorrow to your table, don't bother to queue, I asked where my table was at this point and I was shown to a table right next to the couple who had just gone before me, they were on a table for 2.........what's that about?

Moaning over I promise :)

The entertainment was really good, they work so hard, excellent shows each evening, the UK act did 2 nights and he was also very good, it's worth mentioning the 11.30 shows as well, it's definitely worth staying up for, the resident group seemed to be on all day and night somewhere or other and they were very good too. Please don't miss the crews got talent show, especially if JD is doing his act in his kilt!!

* Koper - we booked the half day Coastal and market tour, lovely walk around the marina and village stops on the tour, the market consisted of about 6 stalls selling Olive oil and wine so don't think you are going to a market as we know it.

*Sibinek - Can't comment on the tours, we just walked off the ship and found our way into town, some lovely little streets and buildings with pavement cafes to watch the world go by.

* Dubrovnik = shared a cab with another couple to the old town (cost 10 euros total, they are waiting at the quayside as you get off the ship) beautiful walled city, excellent little alleyways with bars and shops to wander around for at least a few hours, there is also the cable car if you are feeling adventurous, lovely place to spend a few hours without doing the tours.

* Venice - we paid for the half day on your own trip, the ship leaves quite early from Venice so the half day (returns at 2.00pm)is just right, it was very hot on the day we were there and there are few places to sit and rest other than a cafe or bar........don't sit in St Marks square, they will charge you for the chair and sunshine, Venice is beautiful to walk around and just look at the buildings and canals, don't worry about getting lost, the street signs point you back towards St Marks.

Get a place nice and early on deck 10 for the sailaway, it is not to be missed, apart from the unique and fantastic view as you sail up the canal, 3 members of the entertainment team put on a performance of classical songs that bring a tear to the eye and have the hairs on your neck standing up.......unbelievable sail away.

* Kotor - I was up nice and early as we sailed in, it was definitely worth it, Fjord like with mountains surrounding the bay.

The ship sails right into town, for this one, we jumped on the HoHo bus about 100 metres from the ship, hour and a half trip for 20 euros each around the coast (well worth the cost).

Unfortunately it was thunder and lightening and heavy rain leaving which ruined the sail out.

Sorry, I have gone on a bit more than I planned originally, overall the cruise was brilliant, the itinerary was everything I expected and more, the food was really good if you stayed away from the buffet (could be a personal thing).

For breakfast I would recommend 4 seasons self service and dinner in the 7 seas.

Bar staff are excellent, always quick to ask if you need a drink.

Let me know if you need any further info. Less

Read more Thomson Majesty cruise reviews >>