Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by Chgotourist: Queen Mary 2 - Regal in All Regards

Queen Mary 2 (QM2) 5

Queen Mary 2 - Regal in All Regards

Sail Date: August 2013
Destination: Transatlantic
Embarkation: Southampton

Having crossed twice many years ago aboard the QE 2, the Queen Mary 2 had big shoes to fill. She didn't disappoint.

We were in the Princess Grill class, 10th deck. The ship's diagram shows our stateroom across from the elevators; and that's probably why it wasn't booked. People were probably afraid of passenger and mechanical noise. But most elevators aren't open directly to the hallways; and if you look closely on the diagram, you'll see how they are enclosed. There was no problem of noise. Our stateroom was large with a good-sized sitting area plus 2 comfortable deck chairs on the veranda. I was amazed at the efficiency of the room design - for example, 2 large closets in the entry, 1 large walk-in closet, vanity with hair dryer in top right drawer plus extra shelves, room under the bed., bathroom wastebasket pulled out from the cabinet, tissue holder located in the cabinet, etc. The bed was unbelievably comfortable, and I love having robes provided..

Food and More service in the Princess Grill was excellent. We ate once at the Todd English restaurant. My husband had a shrimp appetizer (can't remember the name) that he raved about and thought that alone was worth the extra cost. Me, it was very good, but I didn't think any better than the Princess Grill. Sorry Todd.. We also met a couple in the Princess Grill that dined with the hotel manager in the Britannia Restaurant, and they said the food was the same. Make sure you use the Concierge for Grill passengers if you have questions. Upon boarding, I asked at the Purser's desk which restaurant was open for lunch and was told Kings Court. He thought I was Britannia Class because I discovered later that the Princess Grill was open. The buffet lunch in Kings Court was good, but it's noisy with all the activity. We didn't try any of the other restaurants because Princess Grill spoiled us.

The speakers we heard were interesting, captivating and used Powerpoint as an addition to points covered. We had time for one Planetarium show and loved it. The entertainment was great. I was impressed with the singers' and dancers' costumes and athletic ability of the male dancers in their final variety show. The male dancers were all from Eastern Europe and appeared to defy gravity at times.

Debarkation went smoothly and has definitely improved from my QE2 experience many years ago.

For a Transatlantic cruise, Queen Mary 2 is definitely the way to go. We went in August so the ocean was smooth, and this Queen was built for ocean travel. Book a room on the port side if you're traveling from Southampton to New York City so you get the sun.

Improvements: A night light for reading that won't disturb your partner.

More laundry rooms or a larger room with more washers and dryers plus a chart that describes the time length of various wash options. Less

Published 09/24/13