Celebrity Century Cruise Review by timmersbc

Cruise Date: September 2013
Embarkation: Vancouver
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: 09
See More About: Celebrity Century Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Dining 5+

Vancouver to Hubbard Glacier

My wife and I, and her mother (yes, my mother-in-law) did the 7 day/7 night cruise from Vancouver to the Hubbard Glacier, with stops in Juneau, Ketchichan, and Icy Point, with some Inside Passage cruising days as well.

What an excellent experience. The crew's treatment of us was beyond reproach, from the minute we stepped on till when we disembarked. We participated in a lot of the on-board activities, including bingo, dance lessons, lectures by local authorities or naturalist; we attended many of the functions offered it the theatre, including an Eagles tribute, magic shows, juggling and acrobats, and dance and music extravaganzas. All by talented performers, with enough experience to know what a sea-going audience would appreciate most.

The food at times was unbelievable - breakfast with fresh fruit, healthy oatmeal, syrup drenched waffles, and lots of fruit juices and coffee (decaf for me) was what surprised me the most - I did not expect to see such top quality delivered, consistently and by such helpful and cheerful crew. Not to say that the quality suffered for lunch and supper, I really appreciated the days we got fish-n-chips poolside, and that pizza counter was one of my favourites as well. Pasta done while you wait was really enticing as well, especially that roast garlic smell that wafts through the room, pulling me into the lineup to place my order.

We participated in the formal wear and smart casual evenings in the Grand Restaurant, exceptional service and quality to match. The portions weren't huge by western standards, but once we had eaten the appetizer, and probably a salad of sorts, at times a soup, and then main course and dessert, none of us went to our stateroom hungry in any shape or form. Service was handled professionally and expeditiously, we never waited for anything - but that didn't mean we were rushed either - things were delivered to our table at our pace.

I don't drink alcohol, but my wife and our friends did - they took advantage of some sort of drink package offered by Celebrity, and were happy with the selection of wines and other drinks. I usually drank water from the ship's supply, some fruit juices, and occasionally bottled water. And of course a cup of decaf with breakfast.

Desserts contributed to weight gain, but were worth every pound (or kilo) gained.

I participated in a ship's tour, got to go up to the bridge, have some navigation features explained by the Captain himself, behind the scenes of the Celebrity Theatre (ie: backstage where the performers hang out), down to the store rooms and laundry areas, the crews' facilities down below Deck 3, the engine control room where an engineer gave us a few of the ships' details, and where we were able to see the engines on a large display, then had lunch with one of the ship's officers, in a luxurious restaurant, with exceptional food and wine pairings. Overall the highlight of my trip (I went alone, my wife and other friends had other excursions).

I would not hesitate to recommend this ship, or this company, and compliment them on the friendliness of the crew and cleanliness of the facilities. I would travel again in an instant, without hesitation with this company.

Publication Date: 09/22/13