Carnival Elation Cruise Review by Nadersmom: Another Great Cruise on the Elation

Nadersmom
Member Since 2012

Family & Children 4.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Elation Western Caribbean Cruises

Another Great Cruise on the Elation

Sail Date: September 2013
Embarkation: New Orleans

This year we brought out 12 year old son with us for his first cruise.

New Orleans:

I really like New Orleans. I love the food. I will say that this time we went in Sept. instead of Nov like we did last time. It was much hotter!!! I'm from the Midwest and am pretty used to 90's but it was just so much more humid this year than last year. I'm not sure if this was the cause or not, but there was a much more distinct odor this time as we walked around. Rotting garbage smell. It was horrible and very noticeable by everyone. Again, it's possible this was because it was just so humid that it made it that much more apparent.

We went to Felix's Oyster House this time instead of Acme. Got right in. The server was wonderful. The food was good, but if I'm perfectly honest, we got much more food for our money at Acme last year. While many people rave about Felix's over Acme, if I had to choose, I'd probably choose Acme. but that's just personal preference.

For More breakfast we went to the Ruby Slipper and it was WONDERFUL. We sat at the bar and the bartender that took our order was so pleasant and friendly. The Bloody Mary was strong and tasted great! Ordered the Eggs Blackstone and wouldn't hesitate to order it again. Highly recommend this place for breakfast.

Had dinner one night at Katies (took the streetcar up Canal) and it was also wonderful. Nice little place. The Crawfish beignet was to die for!

Embarkation was quick and easy. Muster drill for us was on the Lido deck. Hot! but they got thru it quick. It's amazing how fast it can go if everyone just shows up when they are supposed to and doesn't cop a "I've done it before, I know the drill" attitude and tries to stay in their room.

Staff: I don't understand when people say the staff acts like they don't want to be there. Every single member of the staff we came in contact with was extremely friendly and helpful. Always impressed with the staff. The wait staff as well as our room steward were all wonderful, efficient and friendly.

Even the bar staff, particularly in the drama bar, where we usually ended up sitting, were great!

Food was good. Omelets were awesome as usual. Tiffany buffet was "ok". there was some stuff I really liked, and other stuff that was....meh. But again, personal preference. Nothing was horrible by any stretch. Dining room food was good. Chocolate martinis were outstanding. This kids with us ranged from 6years to 14years and all of them LOVED the dining room, particularly our wait staff. They all spend a great amount of time in the kids clubs and enjoyed them.

Didn't really make any shows except for one. The Peetah and Pearl show. I absolutely love Pearl. She's hilarious!

Ports were OK. Progreso is as it was last year. I never felt unsafe, but felt a little too haggled by people to relax. But I understand it's the way of life there and certainly don't begrudge them for it. We only spend about 3 hours off the ship in Progreso and were back on board by lunch.

Cozumel: went to Mr Sanchos. Very nice place. Good staff, nice beach. I think it's worth the money for the All Inclusive and would do it again. Went back to port early enough to give ourselves about an 1-1/2 hours to shop before getting back on board. Had a pier runner. Well, a pier WALKER. one would think that if you know you are holding up a ship with thousands of people, you would at least have the decency to jog a little bit to the boat. Not stroll casually and wave to everyone. Talk about an "it's all about me" attitude.

Debarkation was easy as could be. Ran about 15 minutes behind but not a big deal.

We will be cruising again with Carnival next year though will try a different port and ship and see what its like. We enjoyed ourselves on this cruise and wouldn't hesitate to go back on the Elation again Less

Read more Carnival Elation cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Elation Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Elation Oceanview Main M165

Quiet room. Felt no movement. close enough to two stairwells that it was easy to pick one or the other depending on where we were going