MSC Orchestra Cruise Review by cubsfan1032: Excellent value for money

Excellent value for money

Sail Date: September 2013
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Genoa

My wife had been on a near identical cruise with the ship back in May with her friend only this time it went to Ibiza and not Tunis. We got a 5% discount on the booking as she had joined the MSC Club. The ship was very clean and with the exception of a DJ the staff were very good. The food in the l'Ibuscus restaurant was very nice and great service, my wife felt it was far better than in the Villa Borghese restaurant where she ate on the previous cruise Their cabin was a cheaper one on deck 5).

The design of the ship means that without the large open foyer that we found on the Adventure of the Seas there was more space for public areas and there was plenty of room in all of the 13 bars on board.

The excursions were well organised and cheaper than on RCI, you have to use the tender to get to Villefranche, I went on the Monte Carlo tour which was good but you could have saved money just going to Villefranche and getting a public bus to Nice.

You would be daft More not to take a drinks package, we got the basic Allegrisimo package at 20 euros a day and that more than catered for us, as we prepaid it with MSC there was no service charge and the three of us got through 1300 euros of coffee bottled water, ice cream (they make there own for the ice cream bar on deck and it is excellent) milk shakes, beers, cocktails, wine and liquors. There is a premium package at 42 euros and the main difference seemed to be that you had a wider range of drinks and could have bottled beers rather than just draft Heineken.

On the negative side the large numbers of Italian and Russian guests are not great at queuing up for anything, the entertainment is fairly average, we had to transfer back to Nice from Genoa as they could not provide flights home from genoa which meant we saw nothing of Genoa and lots of the inside of Nice airport which has the worlds most expensive duty free! and DO NOT HAVE A CABIN ON DECK 12 ANYWHERE NEAR THE POOL AREA. on the Ibiza stop they held a deck party till 3am at which point I nearly came to blows with the DJ and the staff in general ignored our complaints and even after the music finishes you are kept awake by staff putting the tables and chairs away and then laying out deck chairs. When we go again we will make sure that we don't have any public areas above our cabin. Less

Read more MSC Orchestra cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's MSC Orchestra Review >>

Cabin review: MSC Orchestra Balcony Suite Xilofono Deck 12077

Lovely balcony, reasonable amount of room with enough drawers and hanging space, a safe and hair dryer. No tea and coffee though so we took a travel kettle from Robert Dyas and our own tea bags and coffee although these can be obtained from the cafeteria.The cabin is directly underneath the pool deck and so prone to loud music at night and sounds of deck chairs being put out and railings being cleaned at 7am, thought at one point we were being boarded by pirates.

We took the shuttle into the town as its too far to walk. Lots of great shops to browse and the timing is done so you can go to a club if you want.

Read 39 Ibiza Reviews

You can walk in straight form the ship, on a sunday many of the shops are shut but I found an interesting market to walk around and the cathedral is pretty spectacular but don't bother with the Norman Palace, you cant take pictures and if you are used to historic European buildings this will be a let down.

Read 102 Palermo Reviews

Only had an evening here but such a pretty city

Rome on Your Own

(4)

Although I only managed a few of the sites I preferred seeing a lot of a few rather than a glimpse of everything as I like to use my camera. if you are flying too and from Rome you can leave your bags at the airport and take a bus into town to se the sites

Managed to see Monte Carlo and Monaco on a quick walking tour. All the buses seem to stop at the Faronguard perfume factory for half an hour which just leaves half an hour to see the wonderful Medieval town of eve at the top of the hill above the factory. As my wife said the perfumery wasn't worth it I hiked straight up to Eze which is not for the unfit and even the hour I had wasn't enough but is better than the perfume factory.