Carnival Victory Cruise Review by sswartz26: Great Cruise all around

Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Carnival Victory Western Caribbean Cruises

Great Cruise all around

Sail Date: September 2013

This was our second cruise on the Victory. It was the first cruise for the friends we took with us. The ship did not disappoint. While she is in need of a little TLC (she is scheduled for drydock and Carnival 2.0 upgrades in late 2014) she is still a great ship.
We did the Faster to the Fun program and would HIGHLY recommend this if offered on any cruise. From the time we dropped our luggage with a porter to the gangway was 10 minutes(that time savings alone paid for the FTTF package).Our cabin was ready at the time we boarded and by the time we got from the gangway to our cabin, our luggage was already waiting for us! We literally dropped our carry on bags off and headed straight to the Lido deck for lunch.
Our Cabin Steward Randy was great. He kept everything fresh in our cabin and was always available if needed and made a point to wish us a good day every morning.
Our head waiter in the Pacific Lower dining room was Leonard and he was awesome. The food was great More EXCEPT the meatloaf...it was quite frankly NASTY...don't know how they made it or what was in it..but it was the farthest thing from meatloaf I had ever seen.
The shows were top notch as always...and all of the crew was just fantastic.
Our ports of call were Jamaica and Grand Cayman. I did not care for Jamaica very much, too many people right outside the port coming up to you to get your hair braided, buy necklaces, ganga, etc. It stormed for most of the afternoon, torrential tropical thunderstorm. We spent most of the afternoon at Jimmy Buffets. We did take a taxi on a little tour..not really worth what we paid per person. If I go on another cruise that stops at Jamaica, I will probably just stay on the ship.
Our second port of call-Grand Cayman was excellent, we bought the All Inclusive Tiki Beach shore excursion. It was OUTSTANDING. Not crowded, lots of chairs. There is a nice reef just off the shore that is awesome for snorkeling. I saw at least 10 different kinds of fish and coral, sea urchins, and other things. The included lunch was very good. You could get hot dogs, hamburgers, or jerk chicken. Unlimited rum punch, soft drinks, water. The beach was nice and if you needed anything an attendant was close by. They do have a lifeguard and you can rent kayaks, jet skis, etc. I would highly recommend this excursion if you want some beach time.
Of course you will always have people who act stupid when they drink too much, but it is what it is. We met some great people on the ship and had an awesome time.
Since we had the Faster to the Fun, we got zone 1 for disembarking. We had breakfast at 6:30 and got down to the lobby at 7:30 and were off the ship and loading up the van by 7:45. It was great. Less

Read more Carnival Victory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Victory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Victory Interior Empress 7380

Great Location, not very noisy at all. Cabin was a good size with a generous bathroom. No complaints at all on the cabin

Beach Break

(5.5)

We went on the All Inclusive Tiki Beach excursion- It was GREAT...the facilities were clean, the food was very good, the beach was wonderful. There is a great snorkeling reef just off shore and I saw no less than 10 different species of fish. It was not crowded at all and I would not hesitate to purchase this excursion again.

Grand Cayman is a great Port of Call and everything is clean, you don't get hassled for things, shopping is real close to the port.
This is a tender port, but they have 4 tender boats, so it does not take long at all.

Not very thrilled with Jamaica....it doesn't "feel" safe and people approach you right out of the gates of the port to have your hair braided or buy a necklace, or ganga(pot). We were asked by no less than 20 people about getting hair braided in a 1 block area. It stormed for like 3 hrs, so that limited out time. It just has a seedy look to it. Aside from Dunns River Falls, I don't see anything that would draw me back there. If I go on another cruise and it stops in Jamaica, I will stay on the ship.