Regatta Cruise Review by Lord Duck

Cruise Date: June 2013
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: VS
See More About: Regatta Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Oceania Cruise Deals

LuxuryOnly.com

Ship Facts: Regatta Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Regatta Deck Plans
Regatta 14 Night Alaska Cruise

We selected this cruise for 2 main reasons. The first was to try smaller ship cruising on Oceania. The other was because of the itinerary. We try to get to Alaska at least once per year and this 14 day itinerary went to places not often visited by cruise ships, such as Kodiak, Seward and Wrangell.

The Regatta is a beautiful ship. The interior is very elegant in a European Manor kind of way. The staff is professional and responsive for the most part.

The food was good, but mostly not exceptional except for Toscana,the Italian pay extra restaurant. This restaurant was, to us, the best on the ship for both food and service. The main dining room we ate in a few times, but found it cramped, with the tables very close together and the service to be often less than desired. (We ordered breakfast one morning...after a 10 minute wait for a waiter to show up and then got our plates 20 minutes apart, only after a request to the waiter about my partner's plate.) Beverage service was non-existent since we had to ask for tea and after we finished our first glasses, no one ever showed up for a refill. I don't consider this good service, especially on a "luxury" cruise ship.

Food problems continued in our suite. We got to ordering room service a lot from our butler, since we could get food from any of the restaurants menus on the ship delivered. We both thought this was wonderful, but more than a few times we got things we did not order and did not get items we did order.

The suite itself was a Vista Suite with a nice view out the front of the ship, perfect for Alaska. It was adequate in size and quite nice except for the bathroom, which was mostly nice but only had a tub/shower with a high edge which was almost impossible for me to get over since I am not steady on my feet and usually use a scooter to get around. I resorted to sponge baths for weeks.

We had our butler in mornings and evenings, but he was often "off" during the middle of the day.

Cabin attendants were exceptional, thorough and efficient. Our cabin was always spotless.

The lecture program was quite good, with a knowledgeable naturalist on board.

The itinerary was superior (I was disappointed when I saw that Oceania was not repeating it next year). It was nice to visit the smaller ports and see more of Alaska.

The ports were enjoyable as always, with the highlights being Seward, with it's fine Sea Life Center, Skagway with the White Pass Railroad trip and Wrangell for a glimpse of the "real" non touristy Alaska. Kodiak was fun to visit for my partner and she told me she enjoyed it, but I was unable to visit since I have to use a scooter and the gangway only had stairs. The whole town, from what she said, is not set up for tourists with accessibility problems.

In summary, we found the Regatta to be a beautiful and comfortable ship with a mostly attentive staff and big problems with attention to detail in the culinary areas. The ship is also not really set up for accessibility (only one accessible public bathroom, for instance)

Publication Date: 09/18/13