Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by lmd4941977: Great ship for seniors

Great ship for seniors

Sail Date: September 2013
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: Baltimore

Baltimore is an easy port of embarkation. People with disablities can enter and leave the ship from deck one, avoiding the climb up and down the 4 story tunnel. Although new cruisers did not seem to be aware of the option.

Everyone on the ship including fellow passengers were helpful with my disabled husband. Holding doors, helping through thresholds, and opening spaces to get the wheelchair through.

I'm happy there are still smaller ships sailing the seas. Although, the cruise lines are now only building large ships. I will say that the newer ships are more accessible.

The food was good, but it must be noted that I like plain fare. I often did not have any idea what the main dining room menu was offering. I took DH to the buffet most of the time. There I could see what I was selecting. The buffet had much the same food as the dining room and was less crowded and quieter in the evening. I liked that there were so many tables out on the deck so we could dine More at sunrise of sunset under the sky.

The crew was great. I enjoyed the entertainment but was concerned that the ship would only appeal to an older crowd. I will be taking my children and grandchildren on this ship next summer. We are limited to ports I can drive to because I no longer fly with DH.

I did an excursion at each of the 4 ports. I find the northern ports much more interesting than the southern islands. We generally only go to the beaches in the Bahamas and the Caribbean. I did historical tours in Portland, Bar Harbor, St. John and Halifax. They were all interesting and well done. They were all purchased through RCL.

In the past I always had a balcony, but think I will save my money for more cruises and get an inside or window cabins. The last two cruised DH did not use the balcony once. I like being up on deck with fellow passingers instead of sitting alone on a balcony. My new philosophy is more cruises less money. I plan to do 4 cruises a year while DH is still able to travel.

I am glad I did not listen to the negative reviews regarding the Grandeur. I loved this ship. I will be on it next March and June. Less

Read more Grandeur of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Grandeur of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Grandeur of the Seas Large Interior Stateroom Deck 4 3107

3107 (accessible room) is quiet and near an elevator for easy access for wheelchair. I detected no odors (this seems to be a regular complaint) The bathroom was in good shape (must have been recently repaired). My only complaint is that the carpet is not often cleaned. I find this on most cruise ships.

Walking Tour

(5)

We walked thur the historic district with a well informed guide. The narration was both interesting and fun. I was happy to be on land and not in a bus on such a sunny day.

Historic Tour

(5)

this is a beautiful city with lots to see. I really loved the Fort and the Victorian gardens. We traveled thru historic areas and learned about the history. Afterwards there was plenty of time to do the boardwalk.

Victoria Mansion

(5)

The mansion was wonderful. The guide interesting. I would recommed this tour.

City Tour

(5)

St John is a quaint little city with an interesting loyalist history. We stopped at the city market, went to the reversing falls, and drove thru historical area's of the city. The guide was informative. We returned to the reversing falls at the end of the tour so we could see the rapids.