Viking Aegir Cruise Review by Sircampsalot: What Sun Deck?????

Sircampsalot

What Sun Deck?????

Sail Date: August 2013
Destination: Europe - River Cruise
Embarkation: Budapest

My girlfriend and I took the 15 day European trip with Viking Aegir from Budapest to Amsterdam. Overall I would rate the trip as a 7.5 out of 10. First I don't want to take anything away from the crew. They were great. The first week we had Capt. Lovin and he was great but he was only on board for a week then the "resident" captain Gyula came on board. Let's just say that he was not that great as he was yelling at the deck crew when they were placing the gang plank, how to place it, how to put the vertical poles in place and how to place the rope. He was also in charge when we buried the bow into the bank and broke off an 8" tree limb. They first said it was a power outage, but no one I talked to noticed and lights going out. Then the next day they said after the "local police" looked into it another ship coming at us was hogging the river. Well I guess sonar was out, right....anyway broke about 5-7 panels on the forward open deck and a passenger that was sleeping in a chair ended up More with a good 3" gash in his head.

So after all that put aside. No one will ever mention that while going through the canal/locks that the sundeck would be closed all the time to slide under the bridges. So in essence the sundeck was open the first, say 3+ days and the last 3+ days. This was a bummer in that the walking area was closed and you didn't get the views for about 8-9 of the 15 day cruise. DISAPPOINTMENT

The food was great and the wine and beer that was served during lunch and dinner was endless. The wines were pretty good. I have Celiac, gluten intolerant, and the head waiter maitre d, Valentin, was awesome. Every day whether for breakfast, lunch or dinner he always looked for me to go through the menu and what I could eat. Can't say enough great things about him.

The rest of the officers were without doubt the best. Violeta (not sure of spelling) and Connie were the greatest along with Raostina and I wish that I had the names of the remaining crew..oh, the waiters...Henry, Rose, Ned, Camellia (spelling), and the rest were again awesome.

Besides the sundeck we would dock late and poor Violeta had to hustle to get things back on track. These days we would lose the "free time" at the city to make up for the late arrival.

So in all the crew, less the second captain, were awesome. So out of a 10 I would say 7.5 or a 3.5 out of 5. So hopefully this gives you some insight to ask the right questions. Less

Read more Viking Aegir cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Viking Aegir Review >>

Cabin review: Viking Aegir 215

Cabin 215. At the top corners of the bedroom there were creaking noises that were loud enough to keep you up a if you woke in the middle of the night. Finally put some ear plugs in which helped. We had a constant water sloshing noise as if there was a 55 gallon drum that was half full sloshing around during the night again loud enough to keep you up. We had a sewer smell in the bathroom. I own an RV and that only happens when I don't add enough digester to the black tank. Now since the seal was pretty tight on the flusher we figured it was coming from the show drain which is the width of the shower by about 2". We finally dumped some body wash gel and hair shampoo and that cleared up the problem. So about every two days we did this.We had a cabin on the balcony which was nice. No screens so keep the door closed to keep the little bugs out. Also do not close the door all the way, just so it touches the molding. One couple closed their door and apparently they did not have the latch all the way open and they were locked out of the cabin. They had to yell to other people on their decks to get the crew to let them out.