Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by Touringc: 30 year anniversary trip

30 year anniversary trip

Sail Date: August 2013
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

I will start by saying I usually choose cruises by the itinerary. I have tried to get my husband of 30 years to take me to Alaska many times and gave up. I was very surprised when my husband took me on this cruise for our 30th. More about us,we are down to earth fun baby boomers who are not fussy. We make the most of our free time.

We arrived and the ship was beautiful. I loved the comfort of the surroundings the ship seemed to invite us. We were very happy with our room. I found the storage great,the shower roomy,and the bed was the most comfortable I have been on at sea. The balcony seemed very large.

Prior to embarking we had purchased the 5 specialty dining package, the premium drink package,and all of our excursions in advance.

We ate in all of the specialty arena's my favorite being the Tuscany Grill. I have to say although the food and service was delightful ,I enjoyed the MDR as much and that is a very positive testament!

The premium drink More package I found issues with. At breakfast I like coke,and espresso. Unfortunately in the buffet areas you have to get your own drinks.You will see lots of waiters but other than occasionally cleaning a table they will avoid you at all costs. So off to the bar to wait in line with everyone else that doesn't get drink service in the buffet area's and I order and I am told sorry Ma"m only one drink per person?? Well annoyed I would daily visit and add another drink to the list,funny,same reaction.

I would like to point out however all other waiters in the MDR and specialty were wonderful!

My husband and I would visit the lively bartenders by the Martini bar for the entertainment the bartenders provided and great vibe they were the best.

I did not get nice treatment in the bar in front of the specialty dining. The lounge was gorgeous and inviting. Every time I would get ignored and I would square off with the bartender. Relenting he would take my drink order and then forget about it. I know his problem was that I like specialty drinks and most of them he would have to call to get an ingredient list,lol.

I only mention this person because every single other person on this cruise went above and beyond the call of duty to make us feel we were special, we spent our money wisely, and that we would like to keep our money with this cruise line!

We loved the entertainment! Brent told us about bears,whales, and sea lions and it was so entertaining! Miss Amanda lectured on our ports and was a huge hit! I loved the comedy acts and wish there were more! The nightly shows we nice the dancers could actually sing, and the circus show was a huge hit as was the other entertainers.

We spent time in the Casino. People do win there ! My husband hit seven hundred twice and I won almost thirteen hundred. We were not the only lucky people we saw people winning everywhere. Also we are not hard core gamblers.

Alaska was exceptional. I was in specialty dining and the views were wonderful there and tears flooded my eye's. I am by no means an emotional person. However the beauty was so spiritual and took precedence over everything. No one can explain what needs to be seen to believe. If you have even considered Alaska GO!

We booked all of our excursions through Celebrity. In Skagway a floatplane magnificent and worth every penny! In Juneau we did the whale watching cruise again we got our moneys worth and then some, as well as our other tours . I will say tendering was a pain in Juneau and the only time I felt there was a crowd on board.

The officers and cruise director were hands on and so friendly.

There are also many behind the scenes managers who pushed their crew giving us that extra attention.

We enjoyed this cruise so much we took advantage of the European cruise we have been eye balling for May.I have to admit I will find it hard to cruise on another line now! Less

Read more Celebrity Solstice cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Solstice Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Solstice Deluxe Oceanveiw Stateroom Vista Deck (8) 9288

great balcony for viewing,close to elevators,roomy and comfortable,great room steward!

Whales, Bears and Glaciers

(5)

Our boat captain was knowledgable,witty and made sure we had visions of what we came for.

Flightseeing

(5)

great flight I felt safe with captain of craft and was so glad it was roomier than I thought