Thomson Dream Cruise Review by wirralcruiser

Cruise Date: August 2013
Embarkation: other
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: DE
See More About: Thomson Dream Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Thomson Cruises Cruise Deals
Entertainment 5+

Ship Facts: Thomson Dream Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Thomson Dream Deck Plans
Platinum except for thre Food

We have enjoyed all cruises we have taken for varying reasons and decided to try Thomson because of the different ports offered and the good reviews. The flight and embarkation were exceptionally smooth and the cabin was a lot larger and roomier than expected with plenty of storage. However, we had no shower gel all week and half a toilet roll which made for an embarrassing request. The milk was only replenished once a day and we never saw towel shapes, or even saw our cabin steward much.

For a small ship I thought it was quite well laid out and we never had a problem getting a table for two in the Orien restaurant or sunbeds even on the sea day.

The entertainment was superb even compared to the larger ships. Bram - the entertainment manager made the cruise, and his team were excellent. All the cast could dance and sing well, they were professional in their routines and must have spent hours practising to reach such perfection, we never really bother much with the shows, but they were so good we arranged our meals to ensure we missed nothing. The Queen show the first night got everybody into the holiday mood. The other groups, singers and the comedian were of an equally high standard and there was plenty of music all day which made staying on board a pleasure.

We were on the all inclusive package and we felt we got value for money. The drinks were all branded and good measures and gave us the chance to try a variety of drinks.I felt the prices were reasonable anyway especially as on other cruises you have to add 15% on top of the price and pay tips at the end of the cruise.

The ports (Treasures of the Med)were excellent, no queuing for tenders and all ports were easily accessible on your own.We only went on one trip, the beach trip at Olbia,(which we enjoyed very much) but felt the trips offered were reasonably priced.

I would have given this cruise 10/10 except for the food. I felt the selection was very poor, ie one lunch I had fish pie as being the better choice than sausages or liver or plain pasta. There was no meat to go with the salad selection, ie tuna/prawn/ham. not much choice of breads, and at the lido you had to queue once for your food and if you wanted chips, you had to queue again outside. The main meals selection was not very varied and we had stew twice because it was the best option.The puddings were one sponge, again bland, tasteless custard and some small cakes. where were the jellies, trifles, fruit, cheese etc, even 3 star hotels could better the selection. I just don't understand it. The Specialty Asian meal at £20 was overpriced and no selection again.We had prawn toast which was brown SOGGY bread with crab paste on and the lobster curry was really bland. I will eat anything and this was the first time ever in any hotel I was pushed to select anything really nice. I really felt the food had been cheaply purchased and cooked mushily and was bland.I know there were elderly folk on board but I think they would occasionally enjoy a good curry or chilli or peppersteak for a change. We tried the outside steak restaurant and ordered medium rare steak. Mine was ok but my husbands was walking round the plate, he asked for it to be slightly cooked more and got the same bit cooked to rubber. he gave up, especially as the started was cucumber filled with cheese and his bad luck he didn't like cucumber. Sorry to go on but to us , we enjoy our food and and usually that is one of the main enjoyable experiences on a cruise, not on this one and for that reason alone the cruise would get 5/10 and we wont cruise Thomson again.

Publication Date: 09/16/13