Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by Budget Queen

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by Budget Queen
Carnival Conquest
Carnival Conquest
Member Name: Budget Queen
Cruise Date: August 2013
Embarkation: New Orleans
Cabin Category: 4H
Rates 5+

Wonderful family vacation

Every year I take my nephews on vacation. Time was limited this year, so we chose this W Caribbean cruise that had give away rates. :) We were in a tight quad, inside cabin, but my traveling style accepts this easily. This was cruise 4 for my nephews, on 4 different lines, and cruise 82 for me.

We arrived 4 days early, so I could show my nephews around New Orleans, a favorite city of mine. We stayed at the La Quinta, which offers me great rates and fantastic staff and service. From the airport, I take the cheap Jefferson transit bus, the Loyola Streetcar is across the street, if wanted. We had no problem walking to Camp. We also walked to the cruise terminal, again, no issue for us.

I had VIP check in, so skipped the moderate lines, boarded around 1:15p. Ate lunch at the buffet/Guys. I had just been on the Glory the month before, so the layout, which isn't the best was fresh in my mind. :)

Carnival is a winner with their private cocktail party options, so I arranged one on this sailing for the last sea day. This was offered on the Roll Call board. Rather than dealing with collecting the money in advance, I easily collected it at a prearranged time and place the first day.

I'm not a fan of the current entertainment schedule on Carnival. But we did enjoy one show and a couple Comedy shows.

We did eat in the dining room most nights, with good food. The buffet dinners were less appealing to me.

This cruise was chosen for the bargain price and the cruise- meals, lodging and transportation. :) I've sailed the Caribbean many times and the only port worth my time was Grand Cayman. :)

My priority tender perk, gave me a massive line pass escorted by a staff member for Grand Cayman. I had an online agency $100 shore excursion credit, so it was a deal, to be able to get my favorite snorkel vendor- Cpt. Marvin for $6 for two of us. :) My husband and one nephew stayed on the ship. The snorkel trip was again excellent with the three stops.

Montego Bay, is of no interest to me, but I did send them on a ship shore excursion for the bobsled/zipline combo. Problem was, the ship shore excursion staff didn't know what they were talking about with the specific questions I had. I did mention this to the manager upon return, with a "well not everyone has been on the tours etc" I found this a not acceptable excuse, since they should know the details of what they are selling.

Cozumel, had plans to go to Chankaanb, but one nephew got a bad sunburn in Cayman, so we just got outside in the immediate port area and bought some Aloe. No big loss, as Mexico is not anything special for me.

The CC Cocktail Party was very nice. Drinks flowed freely and everyone seemed to have a good time. :)

Disembarkation was easy with no wait. We just left after we finished breakfast. I did take a cab to the airport- at $65 since they charge per person. We fly nonrev so needed to get to the airport early.

Overall it was a very nice trip enjoyed by everyone.

Publication Date: 09/16/13