Carnival Sunshine 8/30/13 Barcelona to Venice: Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review by ecogranny
Overall Member Rating
Carnival Sunshine 8/30/13 Barcelona to Venice
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation at Barcelona was excellent & we both commented on how smoothly it went. The area we had to wait in was very good fresh, airy & with plenty of seating & a cafe.
On Board the food - we tried moston offer, entertainment- we went to several venues & shows & staff - everywhere onboard were excellent and they catered for every taste in music. At all times the ship was kept spotless.
A really good Safety Drill on the day we arrived & we also saw the crew involved in their own drill. Also plenty of info re hand washing
Enterance into Venice was spectular & breathtaking
Dubrovnik was beautiful
- We did not go on any of the excursions as they were VERY expensive and in many cases meant going out for 10 to 12 hrs at a time so not very relaxing. On More past cruises we have made our own arrangements and did so this time too.
- 10% Vat + 15% Gratuity on already expensive drinks made us limit our consumtion to a couple a day - probably good for our health.
- $3.94 + VAT on a bottle of water in your cabin was also quite a surprise.
- $11.50 per person per day Gratuity was added to our account without prior permission & increased our bill by $207 - felt sorry for any family of 2 parents & 2 children which would add $414 to their bill. We were not warned of this when we booked.
- It was a great shock to find out on the Friday that Disemberkation would begin at 4:15am till 9:15am!!!!!!! The Cruise Terminal is a very big shed with a couple of toilets & a few chairs around a so called cafe - totally inadequate for the 3000 peole involved. What were people supposed to do? The water bus didn't start till 8:10am and there weren't many taxis available at that time in the morning. People who had arranged a hotel via Carnival also had to get of in this timescale. Most hotels ask you to leave your room by 11am and don't let you in till 3pm. We would have expected this to be the same in the case of disemberkation and we have never experienced this before in the 5 cruises we have been on in the past. There isn't much to do in Venice at 4:15 with a couple of large suitecases till a flight at 17:45! Less
Cabin review: 1438
Cabin 1438 was port side near the front. It was a good size, plenty of space to hang & store all our clothes. Bathroom was small but adequate. Excellent shower simple to work & worked well. Not a lot of noise from other cruisers. Aircon noisey but took earplugs so not a proble.Good for disembarking at the ports of call as this was usually from Deck 0
Port and Shore Excursions
Dalmation Coastal Villages
The best port of the cruise! Four of us took a taxi and did a really good tour of the area for 4 hrs @ a cost of $175. Driver spoke good English & was very good.
Easy to get to by taxi $50 per taxi. $10 enterance fee & well worth a visit but good to include a trip to the museum where many of the items from the site are stored - but closed on a Tuesday!
Took a water bus 15 Euros return - close to the port - into Venice & then took a 2hr strool round the centre of Venice. Water Bus back to port.
But the most spectacular of all was the route the ship took into the dock area - right through the centre of Venice passed St Marks Sq ect.
Water Bus to the airport 14Euro per person & one case - took 90mins but worth the time & money
Biggest issue in Venice was Disembarcation - 4:15am till 9:15am - totally unacceptable as far as we were concerned. Nothing open, few seats & public transport not starting till 8:10am
Great Vacation in Europe
Christmas at Sea
Carnival Sunshine Cruise March...
Excellent cruise and ship!